CHAPTER 11

Marietta walked into the room. Coryo was in the shower. She knew he wasn't happy with her and she was partly to blame but it was all okay. It wouldn't matter tomorrow. He gotten out the shower and gotten into bed. Marietta cleared her throat.

(M): I apologize for what I did. Talking to Maude Ivory upset you and-
(C): It's not just Maude Ivory that I'm upset at Marietta. It's the Hob as a whole. It's the stupid dance you dragged me to and it's this stupid place you brought me to also!
(M): Your acting like you didn't agree to come here.
(C): Because I was tired of your begging! You're stupid pleading about needing a break!
(M): Did you not need one? Was being a head Gamemaker making you feel so happy and jolly inside?! Well then go back Coryo. If you miss being in charge so damn much then go back.

Marietta took her shoes off and took clothes into the bathroom to shower. Coriolanus grunted and put his hands over his head. He wanted a break. But not here. In 4 probably. That would be better. Anything but here. He tried to have fun but his past kept creeping up on him driving him mad.

But Coryo didn't want Marietta to be mad at him. She was only trying to help them both.

***

Marietta had gotten into bed and Coryo did the same.

(C): I'm sorry for yelling. It's just- it's not easy to be here. I know it's not easy for you either. People hate me here. I have regrets Mari.
(M): You don't regret what you did. You just don't like this place because it holds that memory. But I get it. You just talked about the lake and the music here and I wanted to experience that. I'm sorry for bringing you here. We leave tomorrow.
(C): I know you wanted to bring us here for a break. A kind of vacation. I guess we both don't have good memories anywhere.
(M): We just have to make the best of them. Which is all we can do really. But we have each other. We'll get through it.
(C): Thank you for understanding after everything.
(M): Mhm. Goodnight Coryo.
(C): Goodnight Mari.

Marietta felt bad, partially. She acted as if she was in love with him and forgave him. And she didn't forgive him, not even a little bit. She just taught herself how to act fine until you have the opportunity not to. And the loving part, she did but didn't. It was something she couldn't describe. Like wanting to drink milk being lactose intolerant but loving the taste.

***

The next morning Marietta and Coryo decided to hang out for a little. The train that is supposed to take them back to the Capitol doesn't arrive until 7. So they have time. They would go to the lake one last time around 5.

Around 4:00, had wrote a letter to Tigris. She had told her the plan she was going to commence. It was also a good reason to get out of the motel.

She went to the post office and then walked to the Hob. She was supposed to meet Roman there.

She found him. Another gray tank top with black pants and a hat. The fall leaves crunching below her feet.

(M): You love those tank tops.

Her voice startled him causing him to jump and her to laugh. He gave one of those charming smiles.

(R): Gives the ladies something to look at.
(M): What makes you think the ladies wanna look at you?
(R): Your looking at me.
(M): Because I have to.
(R): Who's forcing you?

Marietta stood in front of him and looked down grinning. He lifted her chin up for her eyes to meet his.

(M): Now you are.

He leaded in to kiss her but she pulled back.

(M): That's not what we're here for.
(R): Why can't we fit it into our schedule then?

He pecked her lips then crossed his arms.

(R): Alright time to get serious now.
(M): Just you saying that makes everything you ever said so unserious.

He laughs.

(M): But anyway, we're going to the lake at 5:00. You do your thing at 4:30 and put him in the right spot. It should be done at 6.

Roman has a confused look on his face.

(R): It's gonna take you an hour to go about your stupid plan that should last 30 minutes?
(M): My plan isn't stupid it's smart.
(R): It's actually diabolical.
(M): Whatever. It might take less than an hour I don't know completely. But once it's over you'll know.
(R): Alright.
(M): I gotta go. Going to the post office shouldn't take this long.
(R): So that's where he thinks you are. Better scurry off then.
(M): Don't start. You know you want me to stay.
(R): More than you know actually.

She rested her hand on his chest. She gave his hand a quick squeeze.

(M): Bye Roman.
(R): You can't leave until you give me something.

Marietta rolled her eyes but Roman's face stayed serious. She kissed Roman's lips but before she could pull away, Roman wrapped his arm around the small of her back and pulled in her in closer until there was no space between them. Marietta placed her hand on his cheek as she kissed him; then on the back of his head. He firmly tilted her head up a little so he could kiss under her jaw. He did that twice until Marietta forced him to kiss her lips again. They kissed a few more times until Marietta broke it.

(R): Bye Marietta.

***

They both changed and walked towards the lake. Luckily, Coriolanus didn't hear any mockingjays. If he did he'd be on the train back home. That's the final thing to tick him off.

They found the lake and Coriolanus was the first to jump in this time. Marietta wanted to take her time.

(C): You coming or what?

Marietta laughed and jumped into the water.

They both floated on their back. Marietta knew to stay until they'd get hungry.

(C): I wish we packed snacks.
(M): There's some swamp potatoes around here right? It should be in season. I'll go get some. Be back.

Coriolanus's mind was racing but his body stayed still as she gotten out of the water. Lucy Gray did the same thing and tried to kill him. What if she was one step ahead of him?