CHAPTER 7

Marietta lay awoke at things she should have considered at the beginning. What was she doing? Was she really going to continue dating her brothers killer? Dating the snake? What were people to say? What was her father and mother to say? Once they found out the truth and that Marietta was going out with them they would be livid. Also to know that she knew the whole time? It would tear them apart. They would think exactly how Valorie thought of her. Cruel. A snake herself. She had to find a way to overpower him. She loved him though so how could she? She thought about it more.

If he was so inlove with Lucy Gray, and tried to kill the girl, what says he won't try to kill me too? Is he even really inlove with me? He doesn't have a heart. He just has hormones.

Marietta thought about how to overpower him. I mean he's only been talking about being president sense forever. Maybe she could overpower him politically? But who knows the risks he is willing to take to make sure nothing stands in his way? He never backs down from a challenge. And was she even fit to lead? Not just the Capitol but a whole country?

And now that Valorie knows, and knows that she is dating him then the whole school must too. They must know everything. Some people would find her cruel too. Others might show respect. Or be disgusted. What about her image? No one has dared to talk about Coriolanus. Thinking that if he got his own best friend killed, what is it to say that he won't have them killed? Dramatic but that's how the school is.

Marietta thought about poison. Rat poison. I mean he does trust her in a sort. Maybe she could invite him over to dinner and position his drink just as Lucy Gray did the tributes? Or she could kill him with a gun right there and be locked up for murder? Or executed? Marietta didn't know what to do or how to do it, but she knew that Snow needed to be gone.

But she still had to fake her love for him. Because she still had little love for him. She would still act the same and kiss him the same and look at him the same, but all for his amusement and to not cause any suspicion.

                              ***

She was at lunch with the boy talking about school and his future.

(C): I applied to be head Gamemaker.
(M): That's amazing Coryo. When?
(C): Truthfully, a month ago. Half truthfully, not so long ago.
(M): You waited a month to tell me? What did they say?
(C): Well I officially became a Gamemaker two days after.
(M): Are you kidding me right now? We're supposed to tell each other this stuff.
(C): I'm sorry I just forgot-
(M): What do you mean you just forgot? Coryo, this is big news. You don't just forget about something like this.

She hugged him and he flinched because he thought she was going to punch him; but soon calmed down once in her embrace. Marietta didn't know how to feel about the Games. She always tried to consider each opinion. Sejanus's opinion, humans shouldn't be forced to kill each other. It's harsh to force innocent children to murder each other at the thought of them not making it themselves. Throwing them in a zoo cage and not feeding them until the games started. Well with the tweaks Coriolanus is making with the Games. The Victor's Village where victors, or winners of their games get to stay once at home. But it still doesn't hide the fact that innocent people are dying not only for a "life lesson" but for other entertainment.

But then she would think about Coriolanus's opinion. How life without order causes chaos. How people's first instinct is to kill one another. How to save nothing but themselves and to knock down anything that tries to keep them from living their lives. The Hunger Games keeps the country in order.  But something still felt wrong.

                               ***

Coriolanus and Marietta walked home together.

(M): Have you ever been out there?
(C): Out where?
(M): 12, 10, 11
(C): I did Peacekeeping out in 12.
(M): People were saying you went out to 2. But what was it like?
(C): Unlike anything here. The biggest house there is like a local apartment here. But there was this lake not far from the district. It was fun there.
(M): Did you go there with Lucy Gray?
(C): Yes I did.

Marietta nodded.

(M): Would you ever go there again? I mean I'm sorry to push it but like don't you ever get tired of this? The common stress of being perfect. Of being a Snow. Of being a Plinth. It's alot of stress trying to be perfect. Especially with me. Being the now only child of famous Strabo Plinth. I don't even have a good relationship with my father. But that's all ignored with pictures of me and him and me trying to fake my happiness. And so much is going on at the university. With rumors about, well you know. I just want to get away. Even for a little bit. Don't you?
(C): It has come to mind maybe once or twice.
(M): Would you ever go out with it? I mean your Coriolanus Snow, you could do anything you want. Starting to make a name for yourself. C'mon just for about maybe a week. Or a weekend. Just you and me.
(C): I'd have to think about it.
(M): That's all I ask.

They walked more. Marietta had a plan. She didn't fully plan it out but she had step one. Make everyone believe she is madly inlove with him.

She kissed him when needed. Sometimes when not needed but just for the fun of it. She convinced herself that she was madly inlove with him so much that he bought it too. And for a second Coriolanus thought that this could be real love. That this could be a better Lucy Gray. He needed someone that was willing to do whatever he asked and she did. She didn't pick fights with him over anything he decided to do whether politically or just in general. He liked that. That's what he wanted. But that's not all he was going to get.