CHAPTER 2

The University was getting ready to have a dance. They announced it the morning everyone was in the building. Marietta was pondering about attending. Of course Teressa had been in her ear about going ever sense they announced it.

(T): Please Mari you have to go.
(M): I don't have to do anything. Besides, I don't think a dance is for me.
(T): Literally that makes no sense. You can ballroom dance like an angel. You know every step to every dance. Please go for me?

Marietta rolled her eyes.

(M): I'll think about it.

Teressa smiled. After everything going on Marietta didn't think a dance is where she would want to be. It being held in the overly large gymnasium along side of the multiloquent students. But on the other hand, it would bring a little bit of fun into her life for just a second.

She walked along the halls of her school and found Coriolanus walking the other way. She'd been trying to avoid the boy sense their last talk. Each side of her brain still fighting on which answer she will settle on. She tried not to pay him any attention but it was too late. For the boy to be already standing in front of her; forcing her to look up at him.

(C): Well look who it is. If I had known better I'd think you were avoiding me.
(M): Who me? Avoid you? Never.

She tried walking past him but he grabbed her arm and she sighed.

(M): What do you want Coryo?
(C): I want to know what the problem is. Please don't tell me it is because of the rumor that's been spreading. I already told you-
(M): I know, I know you weren't the cause of my brothers death. I get it.
(C): Already then, what seems to be the issue? There obviously is one.

His hand had relaxed on her arm a little.

(M): There is no issue. These recent events have been tiresome. I just need a break from things.
(C): Well lucky for you the dance is coming up. I'm hoping you will be attending?

Marietta gave him a shrug and he scoffed.

(C): Mari you have to! It will be the highlight of the week. Please, I'll even accompany you if you'd like.
(M): Why do you want me there so badly?
(C): To help you out. You're right. These recent events have been a lot, for the both of us. We need to get a little happy in our heads.

He remembered Lucy Gray telling him that. It felt weird to repeat it.

(M): I'll think on it.
(C): Alright. I'll see you later then.

Marietta nodded and Coriolanus walked past her. She sighed.

***

Her mother had given her the same speech Coriolanus and Teressa did about how she has to go and to have fun and whatnot. After millions of no's and maybe's and I don't know,  she finally complied. They went and picked out a dress.

Marietta liked this one:

Ma on the other hand didn't like it so much

(M): What about this dress Mari?

She showed her a light pink dress with ruffles. A disgusted expression appeared on her face.

(M): No, I want this one.
(M): Alright.

They purchased and left the store. At another store she has gotten black chunky heels. She thought they'd look best with her outfit. When they gotten home Marietta helped her mother with dinner.

(M): You're gonna look beautiful for the dance Marietta. Are you going with anyone? A date?
(M): Not necessarily. Coriolanus maybe. But I don't see him as a date. Like a friend taking you to an event. That's all it is.
(M): That's not all it ever was.

Marietta scoffs and Ma grins.

(M): Ma please. That was years ago. We're better now. Friends is all we've should've been.
(M): Did he ask you to this dance?
(M): I mean he said he'd "accompany" me but he never really asked.
(M): Oh Marietta that's basically asking!
(M): No it's not there is a difference.
(M): Is he coming to pick you up?
(M): I don't know.
(M): Hmm.

Ma walked out of the kitchen.

(M): Where are you going? Don't do anything Ma!

Marietta sighed. She walked out the kitchen herself and went to her room. Coriolanus and her dating was a mistake. They were never fit for each other anyway. Sure at one point they thought they were the best couple in the world but that quickly faded. They don't belong together. They can't. Or that's what Marietta thought.