Her Worry

Few days later...

Dara paced back and forth that chilly afternoon. Lost in her thoughts, sitting down on the picnic bench wasn't a good idea for her; she was just too jittery.

Jiyong had been watching her like this since the start of the lunch break.

He thought she would be grilling him about what happened last Halloween night, and he was ready to face her, but the questions didn't come. She was too busy being anxious as she paced back and forth in front of him.

He glanced at the lunchbox on the table. She didn't even touch it. That's how he knew something was bothering her, something big enough for her to miss lunch for the first time.

He sighed as he grabbed her wrist to stop her in her tracks. "What's wrong?" He finally asked.

She looked at him, her big brown eyes showing a panicked look on her face. "She's back," she answered, obviously worried.

His brows furrowed. He had a couple of names in mind. "Who's back?"

"Bae Suzy," she answered again, her energy draining just mentioning the name. "I saw her at the party."

His frown deepened. "Who's that?"

She looked at her friend. It's the first time she talked about this woman to him. "She was a former member of my high school's Theater Club. She kept landing lead roles that I wanted to be mine. I had no chance back then; she was so popular." She sighed as she sat down beside him, a worried look still on her face.

He looked at her, sensing there was more. "What about her? Why are you so bothered?"

She closed her eyes as she took a deep breath, calming her nerves. When she opened them again, her eyes landed on the banners across the school that read,

'Join us in this classic play! The Tragedy of Macbeth coming this December!' Then the cast's names were printed as well, including hers in a bright red color in the center as the lead actress.

A gust of cold wind blew through them, her hair dancing behind her, fine hairs rising from her exposed neck, but she didn't feel cold. She was too focused on thinking about Suzy to care about the chilly weather or Jiyong's intense stares at her.

She then answered, "Because her existence threatens me. I thought she's gone for good, going to a fancy college in Yorkville." She looked at Jiyong, her emotions vulnerable to him. "What if...what if she comes back here? Taking my roles again? This is my time to shine on stage!"

Jiyong reached for a loose thread of hair on her face and tucked it behind her ears. He then looked deeply at her, seemingly assuring her. "No one will replace you. No one can touch you."

She wanted to believe him and hold on to his words, but there was a nagging feeling inside her that her role was at risk. She couldn't relax until she was sure that it was hers and no one was taking it.

She stood up just in time for the school bell to ring as she hurriedly left to head towards the school faculty. She needed to hear from the club teacher that the role is still hers.

She might be overthinking, but she has to hear it. 'It's mine,' she thought, forming a fist on her hand.

He just watched her leave, an unreadable expression on his face. He then glanced at the lunchbox on the table left uneaten. Under normal circumstances, he would throw it, since she left it.

Contemplating for a while, he reached for it as he put the small container box into his bag. He then stood up, hands in his pockets, walking towards the direction she was headed, following the girl.

--//--//tbc

a/n: Thanks for reading. Please don't forget to vote.