Taking Solace

Dara had no problem going in or out on the school campus during weekends, as the guard recognized her and let her in at any time.

Saying thanks, she entered the quiet school grounds, appreciating the solitude. With only a few students around, the campus became her haven, a place to lose herself in thoughts and memorize lines, immersing herself in her roles. This was how she preferred spending her weekends—the school, especially the Theater Club, serving as her sanctuary.

No concerns about the dark alleys of Angel Street nor her aunt hitting her to worry about.

A soft melody played in the air. Sans the lyrics. She looked in the direction of the Music Room connected to the Broadcasting Room with its red On Air sign lit.

"Jiyong." She guessed, starting to walk in that direction.

And she was right, he was in there. Within the glassed box of the broadcasting room, he appeared focused on operating the school's PA equipment, bobbing his head lightly, with a pair of expensive Bose headphones on.

She tapped on the glass, aiming to capture his attention. Despite the likely high volume in his headphones, she succeeded in getting through to him. He signaled her with a 'One sec.' before pressing some buttons to queue up the next selection of music. Soon after, he opened the door to greet her.

His brow raised. "What?" he asked as he removed his headphones.

She shrugged as she put her bag on the black couch first before sitting down. "My aunt broke up with her boyfriend." She started. 'And I need a place to hide.' she wanted to add.

His dark eyes widened a bit, then softened next before nodding in understanding. He walked to the mini fridge, opened it grabbed a particular drink inside then closed the door. He then sat down beside her as he handed her the drink.

She happily opened the Fanta juice and sipped it quickly. "Ahh...This tastes good!"

As usual no thanks from her but he's used to it by now. He looked at her seriously. "Are you OK?" He asked.

She nodded as she rocked herself back and forth. "I just need to pass the time until she sobers up. Then I'll go home," she winced at her calling that dump her home, "after." She tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

He noticed it quickly as he held her wrist. He eyed the fresh cuts on her hand. A worried frown on his face. "Did she hit you again?" He asked, something else in his voice.

She had mentioned it to him before about her living situation and she regretted it after. She didn't need anyone worrying about her. She likes to think of herself as a toughie.

She yanked her arm away from his grip. "I'm fine! It's no biggie." She expressed herself to drop the subject. She then looked away.

He knows about her aunt hitting her but she somehow manages not to tell him about her aunt's men giving her malicious looks and even catching some visiting her at night when they think she's sleeping. Just thinking about it again gave her the creeps.

She stood up walked to the nearby table and sat there instead. Just to keep a distance from her and her friend's studying eyes.

She managed to face him minutes later as she tried to smile at him. "Are you playing again tonight at -ONE's?" She asked.

He looked at her for a moment before he sighed, dropping the subject, as he leaned further on the couch. He glanced at the clock. It says 5 pm.

"No." He answered shortly.

She cocked her eyebrow. It's a Saturday. He should be available. "Why not?"

He checked his phone as he read a message. "Not tonight. I need to go somewhere else." Before she could press further, he looked at her. "How about you? Are you waitressing again tonight?"

Something in his eyes changed but Dara didn't name it. She frowned right away. "No." She shivered at the reminder of last night. "I'm on-call but Ms. Sohee already texted me that I don't have to be there tonight. Thank God."

He smirked. "Can't blame her." He teased.

She frowned at him. "What do you mean by that?" She crossed her arms over her chest.

He didn't answer as he raised his hands succumbing.

She seemed to get annoyed more by that. "What?! You also thought I suck, right?" She's embarrassed about last night, she didn't care she's projecting her frustrations onto him.

"I didn't say anything." He defended.

She huffed as she gulped the remaining of her drink. She threw the tin can on the wastebasket there. "Wait 'til I graduate and I will get a decent job I don't have to serve alcohol to anyone!" She winced as she remembered how she acted last night. She will choose washing the dishes over serving men drinks again while they look at her like she's a piece of meat... though the tips and the extra pay, in the end, were worth it.

She calmed down at that thought. She does need the money.

She can be very expressive and he can read her emotions easily. He wanted to tell her something but he changed his mind as he told her something else instead. "You are graduating next Spring. What sort of gift do you want?" That seemed to catch her attention. "I don't know what to give you." he shrugged as he noted how she's calming now.

She looked at him like she was studying his net worth. Not a lot of people know his background as one of the richest and most influential students in this school. He is the son of a politician's wife regardless of how complicated their family situation is currently. He doesn't make it obvious but she knows he is comfortable. He is unlike her who needs multiple part-time jobs to get through life.

She should feel angry about how life is so unfair but not towards her friend. She knows he has his demons, not to mention his relationship with his mother or how he tries to keep to himself and shut down others. It's a miracle he's letting her in his life.

How he acquired so much wealth and still chose to attend this inferior school unlike the top schools in the other cities, remained a mystery. Or on how he can afford expensive stuff take the Bose headphones for example, or among other things he thought she wouldn't notice.

She knew better than anyone that though Mrs. Kwon tried to give him money or "allowance" as she calls it, he never accepted them. He never accepted anything from her. She was reminded of the lunches she's been eating.

She snorted. Who knows he might be living off an inheritance or a trust fund from a wealthy relative. Who knows.

That's the thing, she never asks. As she knows, once she starts asking, he will be asking too...and Dara likes to keep many things about her to herself.

"...someday you will be the brightest star..."

Words of her mother tightened something in her chest.

She looked at the staring Jiyong. She felt like he could do anything, could grant anything she wished for...and she needed to choose it wisely.

She cleared her throat. "I-I will think about it." She stuttered as she looked at the time, almost six. She grabbed her bag. Her aunt would wake up anytime soon and would go to work, leaving the house empty. "I have to go." She said as she left the room.

Trying to ignore his heated gaze following her behind.

---//---//tbc

a/n: What's up? Still there? Share your thoughts and vote ^^ thanks.