The Guy Who Played Macbeth

/Act 4 Scene 22/

"When our actions
do not, Our fears do make
us traitors."

Riiing!

The last school bell rang, signaling the end of the week's classes. Dara swiftly gathered her notes, her anticipation for Theater Club practice evident in her eager footsteps. It was another opportunity to rehearse her lines for the upcoming end-of-year performance.

It's gonna be spectacular, she reassured herself. After all, she was headlining the show.

Upon entering the Theater Club room, she found herself alone, as she had expected. She settled on the stage and began rehearsing her lines, barely noticing the gradual arrival of her fellow club members.

They chatted amiably among themselves but paid her little attention. It didn't bother her; she was accustomed to it. Even if they glanced her way, they usually chose to ignore her.

To them, she was the unfriendly girl who wore hand-me-downs to school, now finally landing the lead role after years of playing supporting characters. Her hard work had finally paid off.

However, in their eyes, she remained a poor graduating girl, and her newfound status as the lead actress didn't elevate her in their social hierarchy, if such a thing even existed in their community college. Most students here, including herself, were living below average and are striving to complete their education, graduate, and secure a decent job.

The club director was conspicuously absent, which was no surprise given the teacher's lack of punctuality. After minutes of practice, her throat grew dry, and she needed a drink.

She grabbed her empty water bottle and headed toward the direction of the water fountain, which should be in front of the Theater Club room. As she exited the room, her eyes fell on a vending machine nearby, offering a variety of drinks. She walked closer, her gaze fixated on the melon Fanta juice inside.

$3

She reached into her pockets, retrieved some coins, and counted them.

She sighed; the quarters didn't even amount to two bucks

Frustrated, she turned around, only to collide with someone. Startled, she lost her balance and began to topple backward when that person steadied her elbow.

She looked up about to say 'thanks' when she saw who it was, a blonde six footer guy dressed very nice for a small school like Malcom College, and with a knowing smirk on his face. A scowl showed on her lips automatically.

"Kim Jaejoong," she hissed, sharply nudging her elbow out of his grip.

Jaejoong smirked and walked around her toward the vending machine. He inserted some coins, followed by the sound of the machine, before bending down to retrieve his drink.

He then opened his Fanta juice, all the while maintaining eye contact with her as he sipped it slowly.

She shook her head, feeling foolish for even considering getting something from the vending machine. She knew she couldn't afford it. What a fool.

"Want some?" He asked behind her.

She glanced at him and longed to wipe that grin off his face by wringing it. She ignored him and proceeded to fill up her water bottle at the fountain.

Once she had finished, she turned on her heels to return to the Theater Club.

Unsurprisingly, he followed her.

"It sucks to be poor, huh?" he taunted.

She stopped in front of the club room, her hand on the doorknob. She turned to face him, who still wore that smug expression.

"I'd rather be poor than be a washed-up idol hiding in this poor school," she retorted matter-of-factly. Without waiting for his response, she hurried back inside, knowing she had struck a nerve.

He followed her inside, but it was a relief to see that he was headed in the opposite direction. Shortly after, the head of the theater club arrived and instructed the rest of the cast to assemble at the center of the stage, commencing the practice.

Though, it brings her great satisfaction to notice that the smug look on his face disappears, replaced by a scowl, every time their eyes meet while reading their lines. After all, this jackass also has a role to play in the production.

He's even portraying one of the main characters, Macbeth. When it was their turn together to exchange lines, she looked up and gave him an intense gaze as she delivered her lines with unwavering conviction in her role as Lady Macbeth, his wife.

Dara (as Lady Macbeth):

Give me the daggers.
The sleeping and the dead
That fears a painted
devil. If he do bleed,
I'll gild the faces of the grooms withal,

For it must seem their guilt.

He appeared somewhat taken aback by her intensity. He stumbled over his lines, prompting the head teacher to shout 'Cut' and asked about the issue before dismissing the rest of the cast.

Now it was her turn to smirk. She grabbed her bag and turned her back on the flustered Jaejoong, who glanced at her as she exited the room.

Not even a washed-up idol could handle her performance. No one could.

--//--//tbc

a/n: time to spice things up... please vote & comment. Thank you.