The Push

Dara couldn't sleep that night, tossing and turning in her bed. It was past midnight, and she should have been asleep by now. At 5 am, she needed to wake up early for her part-time job at the Kwon Mansion.

But she couldn't sleep. How could she?

Her mind is flooded with thoughts. Of Suzy, of her plan...of Jiyong.

Jiyong...

Just the mere thought of him again made her heart beat faster.

"Do you like me?"

"Yes."

"Do you like me too?"

"Yes."

That was an on-the-spot confession, and Dara admitted it had shaken her to the core.

Now what?

Now that she knew Jiyong's feelings for her. And it's far from being platonic, this should make her plan easier, right?

'Or perhaps, complicate.' her subconscious mind interjected.

She heaved a deep sigh. This should not become a problem.

She glanced at the wall clock, it was 1 am now. Great, she only had a few hours to sleep, if she could manage to before waking up again soon.

She sighed as she tossed on her bed again, attempting to sleep. Her gaze drifted to the doorknob of her dark room, fixating on it as if it might help her hypnotize herself into slumber.

It hadn't been more than a minute or two when she noticed the doorknob shifting. Restless and now fully awake, she held her breath as the person behind the door attempted to open it. Thank God, she had locked it before going to bed.

There were multiple attempts to open her room before she heard a curse.

Dara's heart pounded against her chest, filled with anxiety and fear.

Reaper.

It was Reaper behind the door.

Dara shut her eyes, pulling the covers over her head, attempting to block out the harsh reality that this man was now living with her and her aunt. A man who shamelessly displayed his lustful glances when he believed she wasn't looking.

She gripped the knife under her pillow without even realizing it. The mere touch of it provided a faint sense of security as she struggled to drift into sleep, though unsettling emotions lingered, accompanying her into slumber.

--

That morning, Dara carefully moved around the house, tiptoeing on the way to the door so she could leave the house without her aunt or, worse, Reaper waking up.

She held her breath as she turned the doorknob, exhaling in relief once she stepped outside. Inhaling the brisk November morning air, she felt the chill despite the darkness, the sun wouldn't rise for some time.

She tightened the scarf around her neck as she started to climb down the stairs.

"Good morning."

Dara almost tripped and missed that last step as she looked up surprised to the smiling face of Jiyong who quickly held her elbow to balance her before she fell on the pavement.

She steadied herself as she put a hand on her chest. "Gosh, Jiyong, you scared me," she said, huffing.

He grinned. "Sorry." he didn't sound really as he grabbed her bag pack for her, and then pulled her for a hug, even kissing her on the hair.