10 : Grace and Grudge

Caera Denoir

A week has already passed since I moved to Scythe Seris's mansion. I've been training with a mysterious person this whole time and my skills with the sword increase rapidly. I first thought that this mysterious person is just another greedy noble but no. I know he looks cold but he easily became my friend without me realizing. He is both a teacher and a good friend to me.

Grey Vritra, that is the name of this mysterious person I am talking about. Everything about him is mysterious and the more you know him the bigger the mystery gets. Not only bearing the last name Vritra, which is like the highest honor someone could ever achieve. He also stated that he's the adopted grandson of the High Sovereign, the ruler of this continent, who is like a god and some won't even have a chance to see him in their whole lifetime. And all of this while having no horns? No one would probably believe him if he isn't acquainted with Scythe Seris.

Grey not only has this mysterious profile but also has a mysterious power. When we first sparred, I asked if he's a Striker based on his build and weapon but he said no. I asked what kind of mage he is but he only answered “I am all of them" which doesn't make any sense before but now it does.

For some reason Grey has the freedom to use any spellform he wants. He can use fire, water, earth, wind, ice and lightning whenever he wants. But all of that pales in comparison with Grey's skill with the sword. Scythe Seris said Grey is even better that her in a sword fight which turned out true. Grey is a swordmaster maybe even one of the best in the continent.

“Maybe, if it's even possible that I'll get comfortable again with someone else.”

Those words of Grey two days ago still lingers inside my head. What does he mean by that?

Is he uncomfortable around Scythe Seris? Did someone break his trust? There's a lot of possibilities that it's already hurting my brain just thinking about it."

I thought, thinking how to help my friend. Grey is my only friend outside the Central Academy. You can even say he's my first friend. No matter what I will help Grey as that's what friends are for right?

“Caera, can you check on Grey? It's already time for breakfast yet he's still not up. He's probably sleeping like a log in his room. Please wake him up."

Scythe Seris's voice brought me back to reality. That is true Grey might be someone powerful but he's also someone you can't wake up easily. I've been doing this now for a week already and it is one of the hardest thing to do. Grey always apologizes but I always give him a pout so that he'll fix my hellish bedhair as an apology.

“I understand, I'll bring him right away."

Standing up my chair I walked up the stairs and headed toward Grey's room. Now just outside his room, I'm about to knock the door when the door opened from the inside.

“Woah, Grey waking up by himself? that's a surprise."

I thought, surprised by the sudden changes of events.

“I can't believe that y- eh?"

Because he's a lot taller than me I need to look up to see his face but the one who welcomed my sight isn't just Grey's handsome face but also two onyx horns protruding on the side of his head lowering down near his cheeks.

“Eh?" I said again not able to form any words beside of that.

“Goodmorning Caera, Looks like we have matching horns now. " Grey chuckled looking down to me while smiling.

I couldn't comprehend what is happening and just stood there frozen looking up to him.

“Caera, why are you taking so long?"
I looked at the stairs and saw Scythe Seris on her way to this floor. She saw me first then looked at Grey. She froze up like a statue, confusion drawn on her face.