CHAPTER 1

Marietta made her way down the University Science Center steps to go meet her best friend Teressa. Coriolanus had just gotten back from his military work. The 10th Hunger Games over. Teressa said she had important information to tell her and to hurry. That was her only friend really. Besides Coriolanus. Sometimes she wished more kids liked her. She found her standing on the side waiting for Marietta's arrival. She walked down the hall with a smile on her face.

(M): Hey Titi, what did you have to tell me that was so urgent?
(T): Your not gonna like this. 
(M): What is it?

Then she told her.

(T): Coriolanus Snow snitched on Sejanus and he was the reason he got hanged. Sejanus only told Coriolanus his plan. He had to be the snitch!
(M): No Coryo wouldn't do that. That was his best friend.
(T): Mari I would never lie to you. You know that.
(M): We don't have proof. We don't know if it's true.
(T): I believe it.
(M): Well I don't. Not until we have full proof, don't say another word about it.
(T): Okay.

Marietta walked off. She was furious. How dare she accuse Coriolanus of killing Sejanus? That was his best friend. He wouldn't do such a thing. Right?

                             ***

The thought stuck with her throughout the rest of the day. She thought about it more. No one told her the real reason Sejanus had gotten killed. Yes, treason. But there's more detail than that. She decided to go see Coriolanus for herself to get more clarity. It had to be wrong. It had to be.

She found him in the training area. It was just him. Giving right hooks to the punching bag.

(M): Is it true Coryo?

Her voice made him jump. He looked at her and gave her a pleasant smile.

(C): Hi Marietta. Repeat the question?
(M): Is it true? That you were the reason Sejanus had gotten hanged.

His calm expression quickly faded away. His face turned more serious. Only doctor Gaul and Dean Highbottom were supposed to know of that. How did she know? He cleared his throat.

(C): Why of course not. Sejanus was like a brother to me.

Marietta nodded. She wanted to believe him, but something picked at her. A little voice in her head saying "You know Coryo did it. He's lying." She wanted it to go away. She didn't want to believe he was the reason for her brothers death.

(M): Yeah of course you didn't. You wouldn't do that. Sorry I accused you.

Coriolanus nodded then went back to punching the bag. She turned to leave them something clicked in her head. She remembered their conversation they had when he had gotten back from the military.

(M): You said you killed three people over the summer. Who was the third?

She had only known of Bobbin's death and Mayfair's. Coriolanus told her how he had to kill her to protect Lucy Gray. He also told her about Lucy Gray betraying him. He left out a few parts. Coriolanus thought of something to say and he had to think fast. He knew Marietta was smart and could catch on if he waited too long.

(C): My old self. You see how I've changed over time.

He showed a charming smile and opened his arms to reveal his body. Marietta smiled also, but she wasn't buying that. She chuckled a little and walked around his punching bag. All you could hear was her red heels clacking on the floor.

(M): We all know when you have your mind set on something you will stop at nothing, to achieve your goal. Ever sense you thought about your academic future you've had your mind set on going to the university after we graduated the academy. And here you are. I know there was more to Sejanus' death than just treason. What did he do that lead to treason. Care to explain?

Coriolanus faced away from the punching bag and towards her. Him speaking in a normal yet firm tone.

(C): He wanted to break out a rebel and flee up North. He was willing to drug guards and kill them in the process. That's treason Marietta.
(M): How did the Capitol find out? You were the only one he told Coryo. How did they know?
(C): The Capitol is smart. Maybe an ease dropper reported back the information.
(M): No I don't buy that. Come on. We promised not to lie to each other remember?

The flash of them two as kids playing on the playground pinky promising not to lie to each other after Marietta found out Coryo stole her toy.

(C): Yes I remember. I'm not lying Marietta. I had nothing to do with Sejanus getting hanged.
(M): Yes, yes well. If I do find out that you were lying to me, I will tell my parents. Remember how all this happened. My parents thought of you noble. They are the reason you're here. The reason you still have your house. They have done so much for you Coriolanus. Don't break their hearts. And don't break mine.

And on that note, Marietta walked away. Her long red coat touching her ankles as she walked back up the stairs. Coriolanus stood there with his thoughts racing.

He didn't want to loose his closest friend over an out of body experience. His fingers just happened to press the record button for the jabberjay to collect all of Sejanus's rebel information for it to be sent to Dr. Gaul. Marietta and Coriolanus grew up together. Childhood bond strong. Then it grew too strong.

They dated for about a year. Marietta soon realized why others didn't dare to get in Coriolanus's way. He was willing to pluck any and everything out of his path to get what he wanted. Marietta didn't like this and it lead to their parting. Their friendship was still strong after though.

She walked up and out of the building heading home. Teressa walked with her until they reached her house. They hugged and parted. She found her Ma sitting in the kitchen whipping up something for dinner. She kissed her on the cheek.

(M): Hey Ma.
(M): Hello dear. How was school?
(M): Usual. Nothing new.
(M): That's alright. Maybe something exciting will happen tomorrow.
(M): Maybe.

Her father walked into the room and looked at her. She stood there with her arms crossed. Marietta and her father never had the best relationship. He was always off doing "business work" . Too busy make time for her. Too busy to attend her 18th birthday. Too busy to attend her graduation ceremony from the academy. Too busy to visit her at the hospital when she broke her elbow at 4. Too busy to do anything an actual father would do.

They stared at each other for a long minute.  Her mother scoffed.

(M): If you two don't just say something to each other and move on.

They stayed silent for a second.

(S): Marietta.
(M): Father.

Once words were said they moved on to do something else. Marietta went to her room and set out her outfit for the next day. She pulled her wavy black hair into a ponytail. She took a small apple slice from the kitchen and slipped into her monarch butterfly terrarium. She found a liking to them and her parents got her one, well her mother, had gotten her one for her birthday.

She layed back onto her bed and looked at the white rose sitting on her dresser. Coriolanus had plucked it for her the day prior from the garden his Grandma'am watched over.. She walked over to it and crushed it in her fist to leave it in the trash.