Sam - A Question

A massive smile grew on my face as I saw my mom. Yeah, I may of caught her leaving early in the morning in the dark a couple of nights ago, but to actually see her face, and hug her, was great. "So how have you been mom?"

"Good thanks hon, work's been pretty boring though... although, I did have an old guy, you came in with chest pain, we scanned him, and turns out that there's a shampoo bottle in his a-"

"I'm going to stop you right there. To much information mom."

"Haha! Alright then, love. So, tell me about your friend. Was his name Roll-by?"

"I've always told you that you need to get your ears checked, mom. His name is Colby, and we were paired for a science project a few weeks ago, and we've just stayed friends."

I think she replied, but I couldn't be sure, as my attention focused on Ben seemingly lecturing Colby about something. I smiled at mom, signalling the end of the conversation, and started walking over, but I wasn't able to walk far, as Ben looked at the stove, then quickly turned back and yelled at us that dinner was ready.

"Jeez, you don't need to yell, I'm right here," Colby complained, but Ben just started getting out the crockery.

  *

"That was delicious Ms. Golbach, thank you"

"Oh, don't thank me love, thank Ben, he made it." Colby did not thank Ben, but just stared at his plate instead.

"So Colby, are you gay?"

Colby's eyes widened, and I knew that ye wasn't going to respond to that.

"Mom, that's not how you speak to my friends!" I somehow plucked up the courage to speak, but only after an eternity of awkward and shocked silence.
"'Friends'" Ben tried to cover up his quote with a light cough.

"Well, Samuel, I feel as if it it my duty to know, but, that being said, im pretty sure that I already knew as soon as I saw the way that you two looked at eachother." It was convenient timing, as I did indeed stare at Colby when she said that. I was more worried for him then anybody else in this room, as he was probably the most confused about who he was as a person.

His eyebrows were creased, and he was frozen, hardly moving an inch. "Colby...?" I placed my hand on his arm, but he flicked it away. "I knew I shouldn't of come here anyway." He threw his cutlery down and speed-walked out of the door, to which I quickly followed.

"Colby, don't leave, please! She's not usually like this! Come back inside an-" He stopped his almost-jog out onto the street abruptly, turning and holding my shoulders.

"Sam-"

"Colby I-"

"Shut up. Sam..."

His hands slipped down from my shoulders to my hands, and he squeezed them tight enough to get the message across. He looked at me, looked away, then looked at me again, but he didn't seem hesitant, and when he spoke I realised just how unhesitating he was.

"...I think I love you."