Colby - Partner

I left the locker room, back in my regular t-shirt and shorts. I hated getting grass in my football training clothes, but if I admitted it, I'd be called a pussy. "That was a great train dude!" Someone wrapped their arm around my neck, squeezing it tightly. "Yes Toddy, it was good. Do you have to say that after every one of them though?" He laughed.
"You're over thinking it! Bet I'll beat you to science!" He ran off, smiling like a golden retriever. I almost regretted becoming friends with him.

Hearing a few people behind me laugh, I looked over my shoulder, seeing Josh and Seth smirk at Todd. "You deserve a better bestfriend dude," Seth put his arm on my shoulder. My collar bone needed a serious break with all of this neck-leaning. "Yeah, why do you even hang out with him?"
"Ugh, fuck you bitch, at least I don't hang out with an axe-muderer!" We looked at Seth, and he pretended to be offended. "RELATED, to an axe-muderer, thank you very much. Anyways, we've got to go to history with stupid Mr. Smiths. See ya' man!" He high-fived me, then Josh and him turned into a different corridor. Breathing a sigh of relief, I strolled along the ball, praying that another one of my friends didn't show up.

Before I knew it, I was right outside the door to science, pushing it open, and finding my seat next to Toddy right as our teacher started to explain the new lesson. "Alright everyone! Settle down, settle down. We're going to start a new project ... a partner project." An echo of "yes'es" and "partners?" rang throughout the classroom. "However, I have chosen them." (I think you know where this is going lol) The quiet celebrations reversed, with groaning being a prominent noise heard.

"Alright-ey!" After explaining the project, he began reading out the duos, almost always complete opposites: the emo kid and the softie, nerd and the jock etc. Fairly quickly, I heard my name, "Colby Brock and," it was like he took a dramatic pause, "Sam Golbach." I had to think for a second, not even knowing who Sam was, but after skimming the room for a second, we locked eyes. He was the quiet kid, who only hung out with girls, the only reason that he wasn't bullied is because he never spoke.

I grimaced and walked up to the teacher, "Why the fuck do I have to be partners with him?"
"First of all, Mr. Brock, don't talk to me with that language towards me, second of all, Sam's the only person in the class who doesn't hate you apart from your friends."
"Then why wasn't I with them?"
He raised an eyebrow at me.
"Let's be honest Mr. Brock, your friends are," he looked over at Toddy, who was shoving pencils in his mouth to look like a walrus,"...interesting, to say the least. Now, go and talk to your partner."

I turned around just to see that he had already sat down in the seat next to mine. He was obviously looking at me, but as soon as I looked back, he started staring at the cheap plastic table. I sighed and sat down, slouching at a 135° angle. We sat there in silence for a while, before he nervously mumbled something. "Are we going to start working or...?"
"What? Oh, yeah. I guess. What's are we doing again?"