Sam - Alarm

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP! BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP! BEEP BE-  "Shut up alarm," I yawned deep, brushing the dusty blonde hair out of my eyes and getting out of bed. I checked my phone, I'd forgotten to turn off notifications, and it was making sounds all night. My ex-girlfriend Kat had messaged me. Despite us breaking up, we still kept our friendship going, and I appreciated it a lot to be honest.

Kitty Kat😊: Hey Sam! Would you mind picking me up for school this morning?

Sam wise👻: Yeah sure, be there at 7

Kitty Kat😊: thx

My anxiety had gotten bad the previous night, with tear stains still on my cheeks. Wiping my face on my pyjama sleeve, I walked over to my wardrobe, chucked on my striped shirt and black jeans, and walked into the kitchen. And. It. Was. Silent. Mom had left a bright pink sticky note on the fridge: "Hey darl, I left early for work, sorry! There are some eggs on the counter, love you xx". Looking over at the white marble counter-top, I saw the ceramic plate, topped with two salt and peppered fried eggs. After checking the quickly escaping time, I quickly ate the eggs, grabbed my backpack and some cash, and ran outside to my car.

Hopping into my almost retired, gray Ford, I drove out of the short driveway, into the suburban neighborhood, heading to Kat's house. Eventually I got there, not waiting long before I saw her waving good bye to her parents as she exited the front door. "Hey Sam! How are you?" She opened the door, getting into shot-gun. "Good thanks, how are you?" We drove off, heading for school.

                                     *

It was hard to find a parking space, whether it was stoners trying to show off with their massive trucks, or hungover teachers parking badly, but eventually we were able to find somewhere and part ways, heading to our separate homerooms. "Hey Sam!" I looked over to see one of my best friends Nate. I walked over to the seat next to him and sat down. "Did you drop Kat off again?" I nodded, "I swear, you still like her dude." He was wrong, I liked Kat, but not like that anymore. Before I could answer, our teacher walked into the room and started taking attendance.

The usual day ensued, lunch soon coming up. I met up with Nate again, and started eating with him while revising what we had barely made an effort to learn. "I don't even know what protein does to you, how am I supposed to know what a kwashiorkor-rorokococaroa is!?" Nate blabbered on about biology, but his words floated right over my head, cause I was watching the football team practice. It was peculiar how these teenagers on steroids could possibly enjoy playing this violent sport where they sustained permanent brain damage, but it was funny to watch and commentate in my head: And.... Dick Head number one decimates, you guessed it, Dick head number Seven! Woohoo!

"Sam...? Saaaammm!!" Nate clicked his fingers, snapping me out of the trance I was in. "What are you looking at?" He moved his head next to mine so that any lice he had would've owned a mansion, trying to see what I was seeing looking at. "Can you not?" Still smiling, I pushed his head away and dropped my head down at my mystery-meat sandwich from the canteen. "Ok! Geez... You're on crack by the way."