Chapter 19

I woke up the next morning and realised that I must have fallen asleep on the sofa. I looked up and Aiden was still asleep. He looked so peaceful; I didn’t want to wake him, so I carefully unwrapped his arms from around me and walked into the kitchen. I grabbed a red bull out of the fridge and began to drink it. I walked back into the sitting room and sat on the other sofa. I looked at Aiden, he was so beautiful. He began to stir and then his eyes slowly opened. He smiled at me from where he was. “Good morning.”

   “Morning,” I replied. Then he began to giggle. “What?” I asked, smiling at hearing his laugh.

   “You look so prettyful in the morning.” I burst out laughing.

   “Did aliens experiment on you in the night, or are you mentally unstable.” He laughed again.

   “I’m pretty sure that neither of those are true. But I am certain that you are prettyful in the morning.” I threw a pillow at him. “What was that for?”

   “To wake you up from your delirious state of mind.”

   “I am awake, see.” He then got up and walked over to me. He then began to tickle me and I laughed uncontrollably. I managed to escape his grip and ran away from him still laughing. He ran after me. I ran out into the garden, he tackled me onto the grass. I laughed and squirmed as he tickled me more. Then he began to stop and looked deep into my eyes, they were so captivating. I was caught in them.

   “I’M HOOOOME!” I heard my mom shout from the house. We both quickly snapped out of it, he got off of me, helping me up before self consciously ruffling his hair and then playing nervously with his hands. I hated how we would end up so close sometimes, only for it to be interrupted. I wanted to see what would have happened if there was no interruptions. But maybe it was better that I never found out, because I would just get hurt. I mean, he likes someone else and it would only make things more awkward between us. I could see that he liked this girl so much, it was clear in his eyes. He was crazy about her.

   I got inside the house and the phone began to ring. I picked it up to realise that it was Noah. I went to my room to talk to her as Aiden and my mom were talking in the kitchen. I laid on my bed and looked up at the ceiling.

   “How are you?” I asked her.

   “I’m soooo amazing,” she screeched.

   “Any specific reason?”

   “He kissed me Cassie!”

   “Diego?”

   “Uh-huh! And then he said that he had liked me for a really long time, so I told him that I had liked him for a long time too. And then he asked me out.”

   “OH MY USHERATIONS!! That’s amazing! I told him he’d be fine.”

   “Wait, you knew about it?”

   “Uh-huh.”

   “Oh my God! You’re the best, you don’t know how much this means to me.”

   “Well it wasn’t just me...it was Aiden and Garrett too, even Max was let in on some of it.”

   “Seriously?” we talked for ages. Then she said, “So how are you and Aiiiideeeennnn?”

   “What are you talking about?” I laughed at how she stretched out his name.

   “Come on Cassie. It’s so totally obvious that you like him.”

   “How’d you know?”

   “I don’t know, perhaps it’s the way you’re always smiling when you’re around him. And you can just tell. I think it’s really sweet, especially the way he came to your rescue yesterday.”

   “He’s the sweetest guy ever, and honestly I’ve fallen harder than I’ve ever fallen before. But he likes someone else.”

   “Who?” she gasped.

   “I don’t know, he won’t say.”

   “So how do you know that it’s not you?”

   “Because I’m helping him to get her tomorrow. I just wanted to make him happy. I told him to invite her to the concert tomorrow, and he did. So I’m going to help him tomorrow, at least he’ll be happy, that’s honestly all I want.”

   “Oh, I’m so sorry. I really thought he liked you.”

   “Haha, how could he possibly like me?” I asked. “Well he did tell me that he used to like me.”

   “OhEmGee, really?”

   “Uh-huh. The reason he cut my hair was because he liked me and he wanted something to symbolise me. He said that he just wanted me to notice him, but then he thought I hated him and he was scared of being rejected, so he pretended to hate me back. And that’s how it all started, the us hating each other thing.”

   “Oh my God! That’s the sweetest thing that I’ve ever heard!” she screeched down the phone.

   “And then at the 3rd grade dance, he told me he got upset when Johnny asked me to dance. He went home and cried himself to sleep.”

   “Correction: That is the sweetest thing that I have ever heard.”

   “If only I’d have recognised it back then, then maybe we could have been together now. We could have been happy. But I don’t blame him, anyone’s better than me. He’s made a good choice to get out while he can.”

   “Awh, don’t say stuff like that. Anyone would be lucky to have you. MAX! Get down from there! Sorry Cassie, I have to go. But I will be there to support you tomorrow. Diego invited me to go too, so if you need me I’ll be there. Love you. Bye.”

   “Thanks, I’ll need it. Love you too,” and with that I hung up the phone and walked down the stairs only to bump into Aiden at the bottom.

   “Oh my Gosh! You’ll never guess what! Diego asked Noah out.”

   “NO WAY!!” he screeched. We stood there jumping up and down like lunatics, but we didn’t care if we looked like the stupidest people in the world.

   “YES WAY!!” I screeched back as he pulled me into such a warm hug. I was happy that they were together and I was also happy that it seemed as if the awkward situation in the garden earlier had been forgotten. All day we just sat cuddled up together watching movies. I made sure to make every second in his arms last, it may not be like this after tomorrow. I would miss it so much. If I could stay in this moment forever, then I would pause time right now without a second thought. Me nestled into his arms, resting my head on his chest, him stroking my hair and holding one of my hands in his own. The way he made me feel was indescribable. I just felt so warm...tingly...special.

   Oh my Usherations! Today is the day! Today is the day that Aiden gets his dream girl! Today is the day that everything could change forever. I was feeling really excited at the thought of being able to make Aiden happy, but feeling the saddest I’ve ever felt, knowing that we might lose the special bond that we’ve built up.