Chapter 13

My mom was staying at her friends for the night, so we ordered pizza and sat in front of the TV playing on the Xbox until we decided to go to bed. I couldn’t sleep at all; I was still so excited about Diego and Noah. By now it was half 10 and I was getting rather agitated at not being able to sleep. I got out of my bed and walked to Aiden’s room. I knocked gently on the door, as to not wake him if he was actually asleep.

   Almost straight away, I was greeted by a friendly, “come in.” I opened the door and peeped my head around the door to see Aiden lying on his bed, reading a book. I was so glad to see that he was awake.

   “I’m bored, can I come and sit in here with you?” I asked hopefully.

   “Sure,” he answered smiling, patting the space on his bed next to him. I walked over and sat down.

   “So what are you reading?” I asked.

   “A book,” he answered with a cheeky smile on his face. I laughed and playfully hit him.

    “I mean what is the book called?”

   “Haha, it’s called Creature of the night,” [Absolutely Fantastillsitic book! You must read it!] he answered.

   “No way! I love that book!”

   “Haha, me too.” He put the book down and wrapped me in the covers with him, hugging me. Then I realised that it had happened again, he was in his pyjamas, which consisted of his boxers and nothing else. I felt my cheeks start to heat up, but I managed to control it better than last time. I nestled into his arms, he was so warm.

   “So what are we going to do about Noah and Diego?” I asked. “Where should we all go?”

   “Urm...I don’t know. How about, bowling?”

   “Yeah! That will be so kewl! So we shall all go bowling and towards the end, we should try to get them alone together.”

   “Good idea. You know what Cassie? I really think that this is going to work.”

   “I hope it does. I’m sure it will. I mean after all, they’re both crazy about each other.” He laughed and then we were quiet for a while. I was starting to get tired, but I didn’t want to leave. I looked up at him to see him smiling down at me, the moment was perfect. I wanted to stay like this forever, well actually I think like that a lot. I want to stay with him forever lots of times. So basically what I’m trying to say is that I want to be with him forever in general. As long as I’m with him, I’m fine. If that makes sense at all.

   I reluctantly tried to get up, but he held me closer to him.

   “Where are you going?” he asked, like a little child. We both laughed a little.

   “I’m going to bed. Goodnight.”

   “Awh,” he pulled a sad face and I laughed. “Goodnight. Sweet dreams.” He hugged me and then let me go. I climbed out from under his covers and tucked him back in really tight. He squirmed and giggled, so did I (Well not the squirming part).

   “Sweet Dreams,” I said before walking out of his room and closing the door, before walking back to my room. I got in my bed and under the covers. They were warm, but not as warm and comforting as being in Aiden’s arms. I was missing him already. I closed my eyes and just laid there until I fell asleep.

***

   I woke up the next morning to find that the house was really quiet. I jumped out of bed, so that I could go and see Aiden. I made my way to his room and knocked gently on the door. There was no answer, so I knocked again. Still no answer, I opened the door a crack. I peeped my head round and was confused when the room was empty. Not just because Aiden wasn’t in there, but because none of his things were in there. I walked over to the drawers and opened them all, only to find them all empty, along with the wardrobe. It was like he was never here. I ran out of his room and into the bathroom, none of his things were in here either. I was getting really confused. Where was he? Where had he gone? Why were none of his things here? I ran down to the kitchen, noticing that his shoes weren’t in the hallway on my way there. My mom was putting things in the dishwasher as I ran over to her. She must have noticed something was wrong when she looked up, because she stopped what she was doing and walked over to me.

   “Are you okay?” she asked, putting her hand on my head. “Oh my, you’re burning up. You must be coming down with something.” There was no time for me to bother about that now.

   “Where’s Aiden?” I asked.

   “What do you mean?” she asked leading me into the sitting room and sitting me down on the sofa.

   “Where is he? Where’s he gone?” my voice sounded much more urgent this time.

   “Honey, what are you talking about? Why would I know where he is?” she tried to comfort me, rubbing my back.

   “He was here. He’s been staying here. He’s staying here for the holidays. His mom’s out of town, remember?”

   “Oh honey, you definitely must be coming down with something. None of that happened.”

   “It did. Please mom, where is he?” I pleaded. I was crying now.

   “Oh, Cassie, you really are not well. I think I should get a doctor.”

   “I don’t need a doctor,” I argued getting up and walking towards the door. “I need Aiden.”

   I opened the door, only to see Aiden walking down the street with Diego and Garrett.

   “AIDEN!” I shouted running over to him and hugging him. He didn’t return the hug, but instead tried to push me away.

   “What is up with you?! Get off of me!” I was so confused.

   “But Aiden, what about everything? Where did you go?”

   “What are you talking about?”

   “You’re staying at my house for the summer. Don’t you remember? Why does nobody remember?”

   His friends laughed at me. “She’s crazy,” commented Diego.

   “She must be,” agreed Garrett.

   “I would rather die than stay with you,” said Aiden.

   “But...But I love you.”

   “I hate you.” Then he walked off.

   Those words hurt so much. I ran back into my house and up to where I’m sure Aiden had been staying. I collapsed onto the bed where I was sure that he had been sleeping and cried my eyes out. Those three words...I hate you. I felt as if I had been shot in the chest. I cried and cried and cried. What about everything that we had been through...all the time we had spent together...all of the fun that we had...all of the fun that we still had ahead of us...all of the promises? I couldn’t take it anymore. I screamed. I screamed so loud that I’m sure that I would have killed most of the nearby wildlife. I screamed, and I carried on screaming, trying to block everything out.