Chapter 10

I was getting ready to go to the fair with Aiden. I had decided to wear my denim ¾ shorts, my purple Hollister cami, my black Converse’s and I put a lilac cardigan on over the top. It was really nice and warm outside. I was starting to get really excited, I absolutely loved the fair. I heard a knock on my door and I ran to open it. It was Aiden. Well Duh!

   “Hey,” he smiled. “Are you ready?”

   “Yep,” I screeched becoming more excited by the second. We ran downstairs and got into the car with my mom, she was going with one of her friends as well. When we arrived we ran around going on all of the rides, avoiding some of the scarier ones.

   By now it was getting darker and my mom said that she would meet us in half an hour back at the car, at the moment we were deciding on whether to go on the big ferris wheel. I was quite reluctant to go on. “Are you sure it’s safe?” I asked him.

   “Yep 100% safe.”

   “It’s just I’m...I’m afraid of heights. But I suppose that it will be okay. As long as you don’t shake the carriage thing.”

   “I promise,” he said crossing his heart. Then we climbed into the carriage thing and the ride slowly began to move. As we got higher, I began to get more comfortable. I was still a bit nervous about reaching the top though. I subconsciously moved closer to Aiden and he put an arm around me, pulling me even closer. I smiled up at him as he smiled back at me.

   All of a sudden, the ride stopped and all of the lights in the fair went out. There had been a power cut. By now we were right at the top and I was getting worried about being stuck up this high. Aiden noticed this and tried to reassure me.

   “Don’t worry Cassie, the electricity will be back on in a minute and we’ll be down before you know it.” He stroked my hair reassuringly before saying, “Let’s talk to keep your mind off of this.”

   “What do you want to talk about?”

   “Urm...I don’t know. What have you always wanted to know?” he asked me.

   I thought for a minute, “why is the sky blue?”

   “Because it’s the pigeons’ favourite colour.” I giggled at him, and then asked him another question.

   “Why is the mail always late?”

   “Because the postmen are always misplacing their time machines.”

   Then I thought of a serious question that I had been wondering about since it happened. “Why did you cut my hair?”

   All of a sudden, I noticed that his face was turning redder by the second. He was blushing immensely.

   “Well...urm...It’s really embarrassing and stupid.”

   “Awh...please tell me. I promise I won’t laugh or get annoyed with you.”

   “Really?”

   “I swear on the life of Goofy Goober.”

   “Well...uh...when I was in 1st grade, I really liked you, but I was too scared to tell you.” He paused and looked down, staring at his hands in his lap. He was beginning to blush even deeper. As for me, I was confused, did he mean like me as in like me, or like me as in like me like me? “I tried talking to you, but I never knew what I should say. So I just admired you from afar. I wanted something to keep that resembled you. I saw this movie when I was little and the girl in it gave the boy some of her hair and he kept it in a locket and I thought at the time that that would be a good idea. When I was sitting behind you, I noticed the scissors on my table and thought that I could maybe get away with it, without you noticing. But then you turned around and saw me. I’m really sorry; I thought that it would be a good idea at the time. It was such a stupid thing to do. I was even going to give you some of my hair, it is the most idiotic idea that I have ever had.” He was really embarrassed.