Chapter 17

I let myself bask in the sun as Anthony led me. I could feel his stare. I let a small smile grace my lips and opened my eyes slowly. "Tis a lovely day, is it not?" I whispered to him. His gaze softened, and he nodded. 

"Indeed very lovely." His voice a bit gruff.  My smile widened. In the background, I could hear Benedict trying to fend off Earl Handsome. 

I turned closer to Anthony. "Should we separate them? I believe the Earl is annoying your brother." I whispered to him, trying not to giggle. He raised a brow and looked towards them slightly before looking back at me with a smirk.

"He shall live." I let a giggle escape at that. It was then that the roses came to view. I turned towards Daphne and Eloise with a smile.

"Let us go enjoy the roses." We all made our way over, and I let go of Anthony's arm to gently smell one of the roses.

  The scent was beautiful and relaxed me. It reminds me of my real mother. She would use rose oil and rose water and had a lovely scent that just meant home and family to me. I want to cry, to be honest. I miss my real family. I let out a sigh and placed my mask back in place.

"They are especially lovely this year. It is a hope of mine that when I marry my husband, he allows me to have a variety of roses in the gardens." I say sweetly as I turn towards the Bridgertons.

"A lover of roses, Lady Penelope." Earl Handsome quipped with a chuckle. I let a sweet little laugh escape my lips.

"It is known that rosewater is very good for your skin and hair. It also has a very lovely scent, does it not?" I replied with a playful little smile. I could feel  the stares at my clear, slightly dewy, soft looking skin and shiny, healthy looking hair. My sisters had looked at me weird when I started my beauty routines, but after the first month, they started asking me for advice every so often. Either way, I could feel Earl Handsome take in my looks very closely before letting a soft "Oh" blurt out.  

"Lady Penelope, your hair does look rather lovely in the sun." Benedict whispered with a look in his eyes. If it is inspiration, he better not paint me nude. I prefer people not to imagine me as they jerk off. Only my future hubby, thanks.

With a soft laugh, I moved a stray curl back and turned back to the roses. "I  dare say the roses look far more lovely than I." Eloise stepped close to my side and took my arm gently. I turned to face her and smiled at her. She gave me a determined look before leaning a bit closer.

"Benedict looks infatuated with you." She whispered with a shudder. I let a giggle escape my lips .

"He is an artist. He is merely inspired." I  quipped back low enough so only she would hear.

Daphne stood close to us and took my other arm. She gave me a sweet smile before whispering to both of us. "Anthony is the one infatuated with you, Lady Penelope." All three of us looked towards Anthony. Our eyes made direct contact. I gave him a saucy little smile, and he blushed. I turned to Daphne.

"Perhaps he is." Daphne smirked and gave Eloise the "I told you so" look. Eloise looked like she wanted hurl. I patted her hand.

"Well, you could do worse." Eloise conceded. Daphne laughed at her antics.

It was then Earl Handsome's assistant came, and after speaking with him. He asked if The Bridgertons may be able to take me home due to an emergency.