Chapter 21

Penelope's mother wanted all the details of the excursion and what happened with the Bridgertons afterward. I made sure to keep it concise but lacking any of the more scandalous details. I don't want her to marry me off before I am ready.

     Either way, she was brimming with excitement. I could snag an Earl or Viscount  very high prospects for my family indeed. If I add a Duke or Prince, she would be deceased. My sisters seemed a bit jealous but overall positive about it all since it would raise their own prospects.

     After a bath, I had a picnic set up in the gardens. The light breeze and sunny sky made for a beautiful day. Sarah and Martha laid a green blanket on the grass and arranged a beautiful spread. Marina and I laid out on the blanket and stared at the clouds for a bit.

    "Penelope. What do I do?" She whispered. Her hands against her stomach with unshead tears in her eyes. I sat up and looked around us. No one was around, thankfully. I looked down at her and patted her head.

    "What do you mean?"

She sighed and closed her eyes.

  " We were in love, Penelope. We... we had relations, and now I am with child." She whispered. "I sent George a letter to inform him, and he promised to ask for my hand in marriage. That was a month ago, and he has not come or responded to my letters since. I know he has gone to serve in the militia, but I have begun to worry. " She opened her eyes and sat up as tears fell down her cheeks. I came closer and hugged her in my arms.

We sat like that for a bit before I pulled a way a bit so we could look at each other. I wiped away her tears and held her face in my hands gently.

"What do you want, Marina?" I said gently as we stared into each other's eyes.  Her eyebrows scrunched a bit as she thought a bit.

" I wish to marry George." She whispered with love and sadness mixed in a pleading tone. I sighed and hugged her again.

    "If that can not become a reality. What will you want to do?" She laid her head on my shoulder.

"I want to keep our child."