Chapter 4

The ballroom was beautiful. I will give these Brits that much.  I made sure to stay by Marina's side so we could talk and enjoy the evening together. I was in the middle of spilling some of my beauty secrets with her when Mother came up to us and practically dragged my sisters and I to greet a Duke Hastings.

   He looked absolutely  done with everything. I let a soft giggle loose and quickly covered my face when everyone turned to stare at me. He raised a brow which made me giggle again. 

 " My apologies. It is just that... well. You looked like you would rather leave sooner rather than later." His face changed from confusion to acceptance in an instant. I could feel my mothers glare. 

"I suppose, I made it obvious." His voice is deep. I like that a lot but he is Daphne's man. I let a bright sort of smile on my face emerge. It is time to distract Anthony and get Daphne to dance tonight. Simon is just the man to get the plan going. 

"Only just." I teased him genteelly before allowing a pensive type of look drift in. "Your grace, Do you happen to be acquainted with  Lord Bridgerton?" He looked surprised at me and nodded.

"Indeed. I am." 

"Wonderful! I do believe Lord Bridgerton arrived with his dear sister Lady Daphne." Time to get my ticket to starting some trouble. I turned slightly to my mother and motioned her help me with my eyes. 

"Duke Hastings, could you please escort my dear Penelope over to Lady Bridgerton. I, must speak with Lady Danbury and would not be able to do so myself. " My mother got the message. It was all very audacious and the duke seemed to catch on. Though it may have some of the other mama's and their debutants back off.  I could see it tempted him. 

"Very well worry not. I Shall escort her over."

I walked to his side and we walked slowly over to where the Bridgertons seemed to be having a discussion. I decided it would be best to let Simon in on the plan so that things do not go off the rails quickly.  

"Lord Bridgerton is making it hard for the Lady Daphne to dance with anyone." I said matter of fact to him looking straightforward. He glanced down at me I could feel his gaze. 

"Indeed." He responded to get me to continue.

"Yes. I have a plan." He chuckled at that. So I did continue and turned to gaze at him as we moved on slowly. "I distract him or anger him which ever shall occupy him longer." 

He let a small mischievous smile appear as he looked at me. "Anger most assuredly"

"Perhaps you can then get the Lady on the dance floor and more gentleman shall brave his distraction and also ask for a dance." He looked pensive. I grinned at him. " It is a favor you would do me. So in exchange... I shall grant thee three favors." He laughed and nodded. 

" A deal then."

"Of course! There is not a time limit and as long as it is within my power to get it done. I shall" I promised with certainty. He looked amused. 

"Very well. Distract him and I shall make good on the deal."