Chapter 8

Social Season Status Report

By: Lord T. Tyme

Good morning, dear readers,

The social season has started, and already, with just this first ball held by they highly respected Lady Danbury, rumors have begun to fly. First, before we get into the juicy details of the rumors and the truth behind them, yes, dear readers, I guarantee the truth. We simply must go over that which everyone should already know.

This season's diamond is none other than Lady Daphne Bridgerton. The Queen herself named her, and I quote, "Flawless." That in itself was highly surprising, but before Lady Bridgerton, the Featherington sisters were presented.

An insider mentioned that the Elder sisters came through the doors first, but Lady Penelope Featherington held everyone's attention. Her posture was elegant, and they say when she walked, there was an air of refinement, none before her exuded as she did. The Queen herself called Lady Penelope Featherington  "A wild Rose."

It is due to such high praise towards both Lady D. Bridgerton and Lady P. Featherington that we simply must keep a closer eye on both ladies. We did dear readers, and thus, we begin the report of The First Ball of the Season.

Now, here are the facts of the evening. The Featherington family arrived earlier than the Bridgerton family. The Featherington family is also hosting a Miss. Marina Thompson (a relation to Lord Featherington cousin to the younger Featheringtons) for the season. Lady Penelope Featherington and her cousin Miss. Marina Thompson both had a respectable number of dances.

The Diamond of the Season, Lady Daphne Bridgerton, did have a respectable number of dances as well. I am sure you wonder, dear reader, if all was respectable, then what is the story? What is the rumor? Where is the scandal?

Well, It was after Lady Featherington finished a dance with Viscount Bridgerton (Did I forget to mention that earlier forgive me) that it happened. The Lady Featherington made her way to the table for a bite to eat when she was confronted by Lady Cressida Cowper.

  It is said that Lady C. Cowper attempted to argue with Lady Featherington, but the Lady turned  away and attempted to walk away.

Yes, attempted! For you see, Lady C. Cowper grabbed Lady Penelope Featherington by the arm and pulled her back! This caused Lady Featherington to fall. Thankfully, my sources tell me that the lady is well besides some bruising.

As you all imagine, it did cause quite the commotion as the Lady Featherington was on the floor hurt. Viscount Bridgerton was a gentleman and helped the poor Lady Penelope Featherington. Many came in her defense, and Lady C. Cowper was escorted away from the ball by her mother.

Lady Penelope Featherington, though fairly shaken by the incident, was said to have stayed till the end of the ball to allow her sisters to have a wonderful time at the ball. Anonymous sources say that Lord and Lady Featherington have contacted Lord and Lady Cowper about the incident. Perhaps some compensation shall be awarded to the family due to the undue stress this season's wild rose.

Now, for that which is more speculation and rumor, it is said that perhaps Viscount Bridgerton may be interested in Lady Penelope Featherington. Due to the Viscount's reputation, it is hard to say if that attention is in good faith. Let us hope and pray the Lady does not fall victim as others have to the  rougish  and Rake that is the Viscount.

Until the next Report!

Lord T. TYME

****************************************************************************
It was a wild morning. I could already tell Mother wished to pull her hair out. Everything was a frenzy to get ready and have everything in place for our gentlemen callers.

Many came, most for Marina and a few for me. To be honest, I did not expect many men to be all that interested since I was not able to dance much after the incident. Most asked after my condition, having read the papers. It looks like instead of Lady Whistledown, there is Lord T. TYME, which is actually really funny. 

I spent most of the day playing the part of a delicate, sweet, and gracious girl. After every person had left, I received an invitation by Lady Violet Bridgerton to dinner with the family.

Mother immediately pushed for me to get ready. Sarah, my second maid helped me ready for dinner with the Bridgertons. I spent time with both of my maids in order to train them to be skilled at different beauty techniques so either one would be able to help me. It was time well spent, honestly.

Thankfully, with the recent weight change and (some help from the seamstress herself), there was not any yellow fabrics available for my new dresses. I had my maid pull out a sage green dress with deep emerald details  and my gold locket necklace.

Sarah carefully pulled my curls into an artful bun with two gold butterfly hair clips on both sides. I pulled my green gloves on, and Sarah placed an emerald colored shawl on my shoulders. I looked cute in the mirror.

I bid mother a good evening and was escorted over by Sarah and Millie.  Lady Bridgerton immediately pulled me into a hug and was looking me over to check to see if I was truly doing well. "Lady Penelope! How are you doing, dear?" 

I smiled at her sweetly and hugged her back. "Worry not Lady Bridgerton! All is well." She smiled back at me and moved back so that I could do proper greetings to the other Bridgertons. Everyone seemed to be in this evening. Anthony looked well if a little conflicted more than likely having seen this mornings paper in contrast to Eloise looking ready to burst in eagerness. 

She came and took my arm to lead me to the table. I could not help but smile at her. Her energy had an eagerness and playfulness to it that seemed to fill the room. 

"Pen why have you stopped coming over?"