Chapter 9

It was quiet. Her voice had sounded a tad sad. I turned towards her and held both of her hands in my own. I gave her a soft smile and allowed a tender sort of expression to be seen. She is really sweet and has always been a good friend to Penelope  before everything went down. Looking at her familiar face, it made me tear up a bit. Penelope cares a lot about her. I do not know her as well, but I want to.

Ew. I am turning into such a sap, but I need to allow this side of me to come out. 

"Eloise. I need you to know that I did not stop visiting due to anything that you said or did. It is just that I needed time." I said it softly and looked into her eyes. I said those words. I mean, they are true. She looked at me with a bit of relief but also some confusion. 

"Time?"

"I will be completely honest, Every day, it felt like I was drowning in my own insecurities, and I could not continue on like that. I needed time to reflect and heal."

 I had problems with self-image before I came here and had worked on that before coming here, but it is close enough to the truth that I felt I could share that much. Eloise teared up and hugged me. I hugged her back and cried with her. It has been a long time since I was hugged, and honestly, it was nice.

She pulled away and wiped my tears way. 

"I understand. Why did you not answer my letters, though?" Letters? I had not received anything. I tilted my head in confusion. 

"I have not received any..." I then righted my head and turned to my maids. "Millie, do you know what might have happened?" Millie looked pensive before looking like she reached a conclusion.  

"Milady, if I remember correctly, the head maid Roberta was ordered by Lord Featherington to give any personal letters to him." I sighed that old coot. He had it out for me after I called him out for spending too much and his gambling. 

"I will harass him for my letters then." I stated and turned back to Eloise. I hooked her arm with my own. "Worry not. I will have all of your letters by tomorrow." She smiled, and we made our way to the dining room.

The other Bridgertons followed us in quietly well except Gregory and Hyacinth. Both sweethearts wanted to sit next to me and did their best to keep my spirits up.

I could not help but smile at both children and snuck them some candies for later. Eloise sat across from me and let me know about her theories on who Lord T. Tyme is. I could not help but giggle at some of her more outlandish theories, as did most of the family.

I noticed that Benedict looked restless. He had the "I am bored, but I have not realized yet" vibe going on. Maybe I should talk to him before he falls too deep down the rabbit hole. Vices are a slippery slope, after all.

Daphne, who sat on the other side of Benedict, looked well. She smiled brightly at me when our eyes met.  One of our maids mentioned she had quite a few potential suitors visit this morning. Hopefully, things will go smoothly for her.

I am sure I could try to persuade Anthony again, but it may not be as easy. I turned towards him and noticed he was staring at me. A soft smile automatically graced my lips and I turned towards Colin who was on my left next to Hyacinth. He was also staring at me. 

"Did you enjoy your dance with my cousin?"  I tried to  converse with him to get more info on him and see if it would work out between him and my cousin.  He blinked his eyes a bit as if to focus on what I had said. I guess he had been spacing out. 

"It was nice. I do apologize I had not been able to dance with you Pen." He had a cheery sort of look on his face. He is charming I will give him that. 

"Please do not worry about such things Lord Colin. I had no such hopes for the evening." Cold cutting words in a bright airy sort of tone. I am vicious. His jaw dropped a bit in disbelief and hurt expression started to surface.  

Eloise snorted and I heard Lady Violet shush her. I decided to end the conversation by turning to face foreword and smiling brightly at Benedict who looked like he was trying hard not to laugh.

 "Lord Benedict, you are an artist correct? Do you have an art portfolio? I would be delighted to take a look at your work."  He gave me a confused look.

"Art portfolio?" he asked very confused. 

"Yes it is a collection, of some of your art pieces that you are happy with and preferably a few different art styles that you enjoy. It would make it easier for people who may wish to invest in you or commission art pieces, based off of your completed work." I smiled at him. I had a few friends who were artists and had enjoyed my lessons in art as well. He looked interested and a bit hesitant.   

"I have not put an art portfolio together." he looked terribly shy.

"If you wish I would be more than happy to help you create one. I know it does sound like a daunting task. Afterall once can never be too sure of that which others will find beautiful." I smiled reassuringly. He nodded his head. 

"I would very much appreciate that Lady Penelope."

"I shall help too!" Hyacinth and then Gregory echoed. I smiled at both of them and then looked up and tilted my head to the side with index finger on my chin as if in thought. 

"Indeed if we have more helpers than I shall have to bring some special snacks with me as well so we will have the energy to help. Perhaps some cinnamon rolls?" Everyone turned to me then. 

"Cinnamon rolls?" both children looked at me with wonder.  I winked at them and smiled. 

"Yes it is my own special recipe." I whispered to them and giggled along with them. The other Bridgetons looked intrigued as well. 

"I would very much like to try those Cinnamon rolls as well." Anthony said with a grin. I smiled brightly at him. 

"Of course! I shall be most delighted if you were to taste them and let me know your opinion." He smiled at that and nodded. 

"It will be a pleasure." He's eyes had hint of fire behind them. Passion? Lust? Excitement? I am not sure which yet but I will figure him out. 

I let a demur and sweet laugh spill out. My cheeks were rosy as I gazed at him with warm sort of expression. 

"The pleasure shall be mine, Lord Anthony."  His eyes darkened and he looked like he wanted to eat me.

Perfect.