Chapter 14

Daphne smiled at her siblings, attempting to be subtle about following Penelope. It was so obvious that she could not look at them for too long before wanting to laugh. She motioned to Benedict to come with her and guide her on the path as Eloise and Anthony continued to be silly.

Together, they made their way closer to Penelope and her caller. They had gotten close enough to hear them.

"I do think green is lovely on you, but light blue could really make you look ethereal in the right shade." The man said. His voice was deep and warm. If Penelope married him, Daphne could not fault her. He is handsome with a nice voice.

Pretty laughter seemed to flutter in the air as Penelope moved her Parasol and turned to her suitor, a bright smile gracing her lips.

"Thank you. I think I look pretty in green, too, Earl Grey." Her voice light as she teasingly replied. Her statement was very bold, but the Earl seemed not to mind as he chuckled and smiled back.

Already, they seemed to have an air of an established relationship that most couples could only dream of exuding. If Anthony wished to marry Penelope Featherington, he needed to make haste was the thought that echoed in both siblings' minds.

"Little Bunny, are you sure you do not wish to marry me?" He asked as he turned fully towards her, a serious expression. Looking fully at his face, he was indeed very handsome. Wait, he has asked her to marry him! Both siblings turned to Penelope, who had a serene look on her face. As if people proposed to her every day.

"We would not make each other happy. My needs and yours differ in ways we could not fulfill for each other. I appreciate your support and efforts. Though I believe we would do better as business partners." Both siblings let out a breath of relief. She said no. Anthony still has a chance, even if he is being silly right now. The Earl nodded at her explanation.

"Very well, but should you change your mind, I shall be more than willing." Penelope smiled at him, a sweet little smile which he returned. "Though I must ask who might you be interested in?" He asked genuinely, curious. A single brow raised and little huff was what Penelope gave him.

"Now why would I answer such a question and give you the opportunity to seduce him away from me." Daphne and Benedict quickly covered their mouths to keep from gasping loudly. The Earl himself gasped dramatically and placed  his hand over his heart.

"I would never do that to you. Unless he was supremely handsome." He teased laughing. Penelope shoved him and laughed as well.

"You silly goose. Well, in all honesty, I have not found quite what I am looking for." The Earl nodded before taking her arm to guide her down the path.

"What are you looking for? Perhaps I can help find a suitable match." Daphne and Benedict glanced at each other, both concerned for Anthony.

How her first season turned from her finding a suitable match to helping Anthony secure Penelope's hand a mystery indeed. She may need to create a meeting with her mother and Benedict together to plan things out.

"To be perfectly honest, I desire a partner in all senses. Someone who listens to my thoughts and ideas and does not dismiss them. My wish is to have someone who will treasure and uplift me as I will do the same. A hard find, I am sure." Penelope sounded so sincere, and the wish so sweet and delicate that Daphne had to admit to herself that she wished for that too.

Benedict patted her hand to comfort her. She felt a hand on her shoulder. There stood Anthony he gave her a soft look and turned an even softer gaze towards Penelope.

The Earl smiled at her. "I am sure you shall see your wish come true." Penelope smiled back.

"After all...A dream is a wish your heart makes." Penelope sang her voice soft and sweet. The Bridgertons were not aware she could sing so well.

"When your fast asleep." The Earl sang back his voice smooth and deep complimenting Penelope's perfectly

"And no matter how your heart is bleeding." Penelope's singing carried the hurt but also the hope.

"If you keep on believing." The Earl sang back.

"The dreams that you wish will come true."  Their voices melded together perfectly for the last phrase and Daphne knew she would not forget this sweet moment. She wished that there was a way she could witness this over and over. Perhaps she could convince Penelope to teach her the song. On impulse the Bridgertons could not help but clap at such a beautiful performance.

Penelope and the Earl both jumped and turned around noticing them. Penelope had a pink blush to her cheeks as did the Earl. Anthony took over fast thankfully some sense returned to him.

"Our apologies we came upon you and had wished to greet Lady Penelope Featherington and heard your singing. It was quite lovely." Penelope's blush deepened and the Earl smiled before giving Penelope a little knowing smirk. Daphne knew then. Oh Penelope likes Anthony too.

Perfect.