Chapter 21

I knocked on his door three times before he finally opened it. His face when he saw me standing there was priceless.
"Is your dad home?" I asked, and he shook his head no. I stepped into the doorway, pressing my lips against his. I slammed the door closed and we began to walk backwards, away from the doorway. I needed to be with him, and it felt like I hadn't seen him in ages. He spun me around to pin me against the wall, putting his hands on either side of me. I put one hand on each side of his face, holding him tighter to me. He stepped back and slipped off his shirt, right before leaning back in. He picked me up and carried me to the couch, where he set me down on top of him. I wrapped my arms around his neck, hanging my head down on his shoulder.
"Why do you like me?" I whispered, not sure where it came from. He lifted himself away from me, staring intently into my eyes.
"Did you seriously just ask me that? Why I like you? The real question is why do you like me?"
"Well, I'm always so horrible to you, and I didn't even have a clue you existed until recently. I'm not loyal, I can't express my feelings, and I can't see past myself most of the time. Basically the exact opposite of you. So why do you like me?"
"I don't like you," he began, smirking and reassuring me this would go somewhere else. "I love you. I love you I love you I love you. I love you Lydia Martin, and all that matters is that you gave me a chance, that you notice me now. You are all that's ever mattered, and as long as I live my true purpose in life will be to-"
"Shut up, Stiles" I said, silencing him with a kiss.
"And why do you like me?" He challenged.
"Because you love me."

Stiles and I sat there talking for what seemed like hours. He only broke my gaze when his phone rang, leaning over to answer it. He closed his eyes, taking in deep breaths.
"Stiles....." I started before he threw the phone on the floor. He jumped up from the couch, grabbing his shirt and the keys to the Jeep.
"Are you coming?" he asked in an unusually stern voice.
"To what? Stiles, what's going on?"
"My dad.....He's in the hospital. Scott just called, said he passed out on duty. The slash marks are bleeding again." I shook my head no, and Stiles marched over to where I was sitting.
"Lydia, I need you to come with me. I can't, I can't do this on my own. I can't sit there alone and watch both of my parents die, it's not going to happen. Not again. Now get up off your cute little ass and let's go."
"I can't, Stiles! Your dad got hurt protecting me, don't you see that? It's all my fault, and you can't say that it isn't. You getting bit, the alphas trying to kill you guys, you dad, it's all my fault. And I can't sit there knowing it's because of me. Scott can go in there with you." He took this in, considering his options. He would never say that it was my fault, even though he probably knew it deep down.
"I'll be right back, stay here." Then he walked out the door.

"I need you to keep me updated on his dad, he's going to have a mental breakdown if I try and talk to him."
"Why aren't you here?" Scott asked.
"I just can't be, I can't be there without feeling like this is all my fault." Scott took this into consideration and hung up. I guess I would just wait to find out until Stiles came home. And I didn't think that was going to happen any time soon.

I could just imagine Stiles at that moment. He must've been sick to his stomach, not knowing whether his dad would survive this. I thought about what he had said, and realized he was right. I grabbed my purse and his phone off the ground and headed towards the door, no longer worrying about what I would feel. This was about Stiles and his dad, and I was being too selfish. I wasn't going to be there when he needed me most. I started my car and backed out of the driveway, turning towards the hospital.

"Stiles?" I yelled as I walked into the waiting room, looking everywhere for him.
"Lydia?" I turned around to see Scott, and there was definitely anxiety in his eyes. I could just see it.
"Is the Sheriff ok? And what about Stiles, is he....."
"Yeah, he's freaking out. You should probably just wait out here."
"No, I need to go see him. I can calm him down."
"Are you sure? I mean, he's still really-"
"I'm positive." I pushed past Scott, running through the hallways for any sign of the Sheriff. I would have run right past it if Stiles didn't peek out from his room and grab my arm, pulling me in with him. We sat in silence, staring at his lifeless father.
"Is he gonna be ok?" I hopefully questioned Stiles. He looked down at his feet, closing his eyes before shaking his head no. I put my hand on his back and he lifted his head. Our eyes met, and I could see the golden glow of them.
"Stiles....." I said, making all of my movements slow. He stood up and walked towards the door, anger in his step. "Stiles! Get it together!" I ran over to him and grabbed his hand in an attempt to anchor him. "It's gonna be okay."
"NO ITS NOT! I've already done this before, it's not going to happen again."
"You can live with me or Scott, we'll figure something out."
"I want to live with my dad." And then he ran out of the room, and then out of the hospital.