Chapter Thirty

Ominous rain pats against the large windows in the living room, Akaashi curled up on the couch with a blanket as he watched. Each raindrop, rushing to reach the bottom, brought a tranquilizing feeling to course through his veins. It had been a few days since his return, and everything seemed to have calmed down. There had been no attacks, or usage of the gun, since and he was thankful for it. Although, paranoia began to shift back into his mind once he realized how still everything was. It was like the calm before the storm- a raging storm, if that.

All Akaashi wanted was peace of mind, and he couldn't seem to even grasp that. He became frustrated, almost as if he was expecting something to happen and then it didn't. The silence of the apartment was eerie; no footsteps or obnoxious chatter. It was like the isolation at Kaori's all over again, except he was home. He brought himself to his feet, keeping the blanket wrapped around him as he walked over to the window. Its cold glass collided with his fingertips, dismissing all of his thoughts at the sudden temperature change.

He cursed under his breath, retracting his hand as he sighed. An intricate knock at the front door sent a wave of several emotions through him, blinding him of his previous paranoia. The four had developed a distinct knock only they use so Akaashi could tell if it was them or not. They couldn't be too safe. Akaashi walked over to the door, hesitant to open it before finally obeying.

"You're all wet, come in." Akaashi rushed Kuroo inside the apartment, him immediately dropping his shoes at the front. He walked down the hallway to grab a towel, returning to his lover with a blank expression.

"Yeah, it's raining a little outside," he was sarcastic, which Akaashi tilted his head with narrowed eyes. Kuroo dried off what he could of himself before Akaashi grabbed his hand, leading him to the bedroom, "Damn, Keiji, at least let me get dry first." Akaashi dropped his hand.

"I'm getting you new clothes because you are not sitting on my couch wet," Akaashi walked to the closet, grabbing a black tank-top along with grey sweatpants. He set the two items on the bed as Kuroo removed his shirt and pants, Akaashi taking it. As he walked to the bathroom, where the laundry basket was, he smirked, "Damn, nice ass." Kuroo snapped his head to Akaashi, his eyes wide as he realized what he'd just said. Akaashi was breaking down into laughter as he dropped the clothes in the basket.

"Keiji, what the hell?" Kuroo couldn't help but laugh, a disbelieving smile crawling over his face. Akaashi leaned against the doorway, "I cannot believe you just said that to me." He shook his head, starting to dress himself in the dry clothing. Once he finished, he walked over to Akaashi as he grabbed his hands, his face tinted red from laughter and partial embarrassment.

"I didn't- expect to actually say it," Akaashi tried pulling himself together through laughs, his mood immediately changing when under the presence of his lover, "I'm only a little sorry."

"I'm sure you are." Kuroo stood over Akaashi intimidatingly, which made butterflies shower around Akaashi's stomach. He looked at his lover, smiling as he interlocked his fingers with his.

"I didn't know you were coming today." With a smile, Akaashi leaned his head up and kissed him.

"Why not? It's an important day, and my last class was canceled, so I came early," Akaashi seemed genuinely confused, which made him tilt his head, "You do know what day it is, right?"

"I don't recall anything special happening today. Am I supposed to know?" Kuroo appeared stunned, letting go of Akaashi's hands which left a sense of worry to shoot down his spine, "What is it?"

"Baby, it's your birthday- how did you not remember?" The realization clicked for him, causing an audible 'oh' to escape from his lips.

"I guess it slipped my mind, I hadn't really ever celebrated my birthday." Kuroo linked his arms around Akaashi's waist, him wrapping his arms around his neck as he pulled him closer. His lover placed several sloppy kisses all across his face, erupting a loving smile to form with a few laughs.