Chapter Seventeen

The soft tumbling of the washing machine was the only noise between the four as they sat in the living room. Akaashi had concluded his ten minute long explanation, including a few little rants here and there and the text messages from his parents. Bokuto was beside Akaashi, his hand interlocked with his own, when he glanced over. Kuroo and Kenma were seated on the other end of the couch. His eyes lingered down, staying on their held hands, "Someone say something, the silence is killing me."

"So, that's what you meant by you and Osamu having a small falling out?" Akaashi nodded, his phone vibrating beneath him.

"Yes, but we're fine now- I think. It's still going to take a little bit for me to trust him again, but I'm not as mad anymore," Kuroo opened his mouth, then closed it as if he was about to say something, "Say it." Akaashi raised his eyes to Kuroo.

"You're.." His eyes narrowed as Kuroo's voice trailed off, his eyes remaining down as he gathered his thoughts. He brought a hand to his mouth, the thoughts visibly racing in his head, "Give me a minute." Kuroo stood up, the three looking at him as he walked to Akaashi's bedroom. With the sound of the sliding door to the balcony closing, Bokuto sighed.

"I'm sorry about him, changes are a big thing for him." Akaashi ignored him, looking down at his own hands that used to be covered in blood. His eyes trailed to Bokuto's hand, which left a settling feeling ease in his chest. He brought their hands to his lips, placing a small kiss on Bokuto's hand before letting go and standing up. He walked to Kenma, giving him a kiss on the forehead before walking down the hallway. He entered his bedroom and closed the door, but leaned against the wall, staring at Kuroo's tense back.

Akaashi felt horrible about withholding the secret from them, they didn't deserve it, but he needed to get his thoughts together before he did. Now, that it's revealed, he feels a bit relieved but is not ready to face the aftermath. He tries to sympathize with Kuroo- to understand what he could possibly be feeling, and he could, except it hurt him even more the longer he thought about it. Akaashi wished he could take back the events of that night, he wished he would've just returned to the bowling alley with Kenma. No one would've came after him and threatened his and Kenma's life, and no one would've known about himself. All he wanted was to tell them on his own terms, but that opportunity was robbed from him.

Kuroo visibly tensed up more when he heard the sliding door open, then the soft and bare footsteps coming towards him. He couldn't help but melt when Akaashi wrapped his arms around his waist, leaning his head against his back. "I'm sorry, Tetsuro." The first name made Kuroo forget entirely about his worries and thoughts. It was like Akaashi was the only one who held the power to do that.

It took Kuroo a few seconds to cumulate a response, and when he finally did, he turned around, "Don't be sorry." Kuroo wrapped his arms around Akaashi, pulling him against his body as tight as he possibly could without hurting him. The silence had nowhere to go, other than to consume the both of them.

"Please don't leave me." Akaashi begged with following silent pleas; his grip around Kuroo tightened as his body fearfully shook lightly.

"I'm not going anywhere, Keiji," Kuroo dropped his head to Akaashi's shoulder, "I promise you." They remained like that, swaying with each other as time moved on, for a few minutes before Akaashi spoke again. He pulled away a bit, looking Kuroo in his eyes as he placed a hand on his cheek. It was almost as if he hesitated before he spoke, his mouth hung open then closed before he thought.

"I love you." His words turned Kuroo to stone, and if he had a working heart, it definitely would've stopped at that moment. Akaashi could see a shift in Kuroo's eyes, and it made him uneasy not knowing what it was. He felt regret starting to climb its way up his throat with an apology.