Chapter Nine

The key turning in the door caught the attention of Kenma, who was sitting cross-legged on the couch, controller in hand as he aggressively flicked the buttons at the game. The door opened, the laughing pair walking in before Bokuto closed the door. "...and I told him I wasn't going to call him because of that damn night we were at that party." Akaashi finished his sentence, Bokuto nodding as he took Akaashi's bag and set it on the opposite end of the couch.

"He sounds like he sucks." Akaashi gave Bokuto a tilted glare, signaling he was right. He looked over at Kenma, who paused his game and removed his headset.

"Hey." With a smile, he turned his head over, the strands of hair falling from the bun at the back of his head.

"Hi, Kenma." Bokuto placed a hand on his shoulder for a moment.

"I'm going to get a shower, make yourself at home." And with that, he trotted down the hallway into a room, the echoing sound of the door leaving them in silence. Kenma patted the spot next to him, and Akaashi understood, walking around the couch and sitting beside him.

"How has your arm been?" Kenma glanced down at the sleeve-covered arm, it being more puffy than usual due to the bandage around it. Akaashi shrugged.

"It bled earlier, but I think it stopped, I just have to be careful with it," Kenma nodded, extending a hand and glancing up at Akaashi, asking permission with his eyes as he granted it. His fingers grazed over the sleeve, almost as if he was hesitant to touch it- he was afraid that his soft touch would tear the stitches apart at the seams, "It's bandaged, you won't hurt me." Akaashi's smile softened as Kenma's tensed back relaxed, his hand fully laying against his arm.

"I'm sorry, Akaashi." Kenma kept his eyes low when he spoke, refusing to look up into Akaashi's apologetic eyes.

"It's okay, I promise. I'm thankful you heard them, or else it probably would've ended worse than it did." Kenma gave a sorrowful smile, turning his head back to the television and removing his hand, but not continuing his game.

"I'm glad you're okay," His voice drifted off before continuing, "I didn't think I made it in time- when Ko brought you out of the woods, I..." He paused, closing his lips tightly to form a thin line. His breath shuddered when he inhaled, shaking his head lightly to erase the memories that flooded back.

"I'm glad you were there, Kenma," Akaashi placed a gentle hand on his shoulder, turning his body to face him, "Also, how did you even know I was there?"

"I may or may not have followed you, I wanted to make sure you were alright. It was a bit weird seeing you walk into the forest with a blanket." Kenma let out a short laugh, Akaashi mimicking it as he dropped his hand, Kenma's eyes meeting his.

"I must say, you are a pretty cat." Kenma's smile expanded, setting his controller on the floor in front of him.

"That's a compliment you don't hear every day," Akaashi laughed quietly, a blanketing silence draping over the two before he spoke again, "Are you okay with... that?" Akaashi swallowed the saliva that built up in his mouth, nodding his head as Kenma adjusted his position. In a split second, the man that was previously sitting in front of him was now the black and tan splotched cat he used to sit with at the dock. The same 'cat' he talked to as if it was his best friend. Akaashi took an uneasy breath in, his widened eyes easing up once he saw past the unbelievable scene.

Akaashi reached a hand out, holding back for a moment with hesitation, before his nimble fingers grazed the top of Kenma's head. He melted into the warm touch, slowly stepping forward until he was standing in Akaashi's lap. "I need to get used to this." Akaashi chuckled at his own words under his breath, observing Kenma as he curled into a ball in his lap. With continuous pets, Kenma's eyes fell shut before the bedroom door opened with a small creak.