Chapter Twenty-Six

"Keiji, ya need to leave, like yesterday." Osamu set a steaming mug in front of Akaashi as he stared down at his bouncing leg. He took a seat on the stool beside him, holding his own mug. His apron was a mess and his hair was slicked back behind his hat, which he typically never does. As Akaashi calmed down from the events earlier that day, he decided the only one who could give him the best advice would be Osamu.

"I know, but I can't imagine running away could be any better." The two fell silent before Osamu quickly looked up at Akaashi with an idea.

"I have a suggestion, but it's a bit of a stretch," Akaashi leaned closer, now curious of his best friend's ideas, "Kaori his your parents before, and they never found them during that time they left. Since you're dating her son, maybe ya could ask her to crash there until the coast is clear?"

"'Samu, I don't know-."

"Hear me out, would ya? If ya did ask Kaori, you'd have a chance of reconnectin' your parents with her. It wasn't even your fault they stopped bein' friends, either." Akaashi went silent, bringing the mug closer to his lips until he felt the hot tea rush down his throat. He shook his head, unsure of what to think.

"I don't want to ask too much of Kenma, I'm already dragging Tetsuro and Kotarou down with me," He bit the inside of his cheek, "Kenma hasn't been involved too much, other than the attack with Iwaizumi and Oikawa. He doesn't deserve this- none of them do."

"Keiji, we talked about seeking help when ya need it, and ya obviously need it durin' now. Don't be afraid to let them help ya, you're all in this together." Akaashi glanced up at Osamu, his eyes shifting between each of his own as a slight guilt washed over him.

"I don't want them to be, they're my boyfriends not my body guards. I need to learn to protect myself." Akaashi looked away as an attempt to find something more interesting. Osamu knew Akaashi was stubborn, so he didn't push more than he wanted to.

"If you're adamant about protectin' yourself, let me help you learn how to, then," Osamu took a quick sip from his mug before setting it on the countertop, "How many times have ya shifted out of your human form?"

"Just once, and it wasn't on purpose," He stole a glance back at his best friend as he grabbed his wrist, lightly guiding him to the back of the store where the parking lot was. He had removed his apron and tossed his hat on the back counter during the process, "Where are we going?" Osamu hopped into the drivers side, Akaashi getting in right after him and putting his seatbelt on.

"You'll see." Osamu gave him a short glance before starting the engine and pulling out of the driveway. The darkening sky left a comforting, yet fearful feeling arise in his stomach. It was beautiful, but the abyss was just as ominous as it was in movies. They arrived at a familiar scenery, the tall trees lining the edge of the forest before their headlights. Osamu parked and turned off the car, putting the keys in his back pocket as he got out. Akaashi was quick to follow his actions, staying by his side as he followed his best friend in the forest.

Anxiety spread across his skin the further they walked in, the trees cascading around them and the only source of light being the powerful moon above them. It was a five minute walk to the spot Osamu wanted to show him. It was a clearing in the middle of the forest, with a small rock pile on one side and small flowers circling around the area. It was beautiful, and the way the moon shone down like a spotlight really helped ease his nerves. Osamu removed the contents of his pockets on the rock along with his shoes, and Akaashi followed.

"You're still new to all of this wolf shit, so I want to help ya control it so ya don't go all crazy and accidentally take it too far," Akaashi smiled, following Osamu to the center of the clearing, "What were ya thinkin' of when ya first did it?" Akaashi thought for a moment before shrugging.