Chapter Five

Midnight crept through like an unsolicited visitor, and the call was still going. Bokuto had hung up to go to sleep, which was followed by a tired Kenma. Kuroo remained on the call, his mind still stuck on the pages of homework in front of him. Akaashi was sprawled out on the couch, attempting to melt into a more comfortable position, but failing. Their endless conversations lingered in the air as silence overgrew them again like ivy on an abandoned house.

"You should go to sleep, it's getting pretty late." Kuroo's suggestion caused Akaashi to groan, huffing as he stared back at the camera.

"You don't think I've tried?" He finally rested on his back, his eyes tracing stars on the white ceiling above him, "I have officially given up on trying to sleep. Besides, you're not too bad of company." Kuroo shared a smile that he had only given to his lovers, his fingers releasing the pencil and a spare hand running through his black hair.

"Do you want to go out for a bit? It seems like somethings stuck on your mind." Akaashi looked at the clock on the wall, then back to Kuroo as he clasped a hand over the laptop lid.

"It's midnight, don't you think that's a little dangerous?" Kuroo chuckled, and Akaashi reached over to his phone, subconsciously taking a screenshot the notification popped up at the bottom of the screen, and Kuroo's smile widened.

"If you wanted a picture of my pretty face, you could've just said that." Akaashi rolled his eyes, debating on lying.

"It was an accident," the silence between then rested gently before he spoke up again, "Where do you want to meet at?" Akaashi stood up, no hint of tiredness behind his navy eyes. His feet brought him to the door, sliding his shoes on as he laced the black laces. His phone rested on the ground beside his leg as he switched over to lace the other foot.

"There's a bar downtown, it's in between our apartments if you want to go there. I'm not sure if you're much of a drinker." Akaashi let a second of a laugh escape, his head shaking as he stood up, sliding his coat on.

"If you wanted to buy me a drink, pretty boy, you could've just said that." Kuroo pointed at the screen as Akaashi picked it up, a light crimson blush hovering over his cheeks once he realized what he said. It was entirely out of character for him to say such things, but saying it to Kuroo, it felt natural.

"Using my words against me, huh? Alright, I see you," he looked away, turning off his lamp as he stood up with his phone, quietly leaving the office and wandering down the hall, "I'll see you in five." They ended with their goodbyes and Akaashi pocketed his phone, quietly stepping out into the hall after making sure he had his wallet and keys. The dim lighting was easy on his eyes, his fingers rushing to the side of his glasses to push them up further.

Akaashi found himself sitting on a cold wooden bench across the sidewalk from the bar, his fingers grazing over his phone screen as he waited for Kuroo's arrival. String lights lit the area pretty well, as a few decorative potted plants sat beside the door. Signs promoting specials and events for the bar lined the walls around the large windows looking in. Apparently, there was a rock band performing tonight that Akaashi was a bit too excited for.

He felt a cold presence behind him, a sudden chill running down the strip of his spine as he turned around, easing up when he noticed it was Kuroo a few feet away, walking towards him with a smile. His hands dug out of his pockets as Akaashi stood up, sliding his phone in his back pocket.

"Hey, 'Kaashi." Kuroo was suddenly two feet in front of him, and he half-expected to find warmth in his proximity, but was greeted with a slight disappointment when he realized there wasn't any. Akaashi noticed that; whenever he was in the presence of Kuroo, there was always this bitter chill that overlapped his body.