Chapter 55 ~ Shadows and Curses

Night had fallen by the time Nikolai returned to the throne room. He'd been with Nastasia in her bedroom ever since the attack, doing his best to help her remain calm while she tried to grasp the gravity of what had happened.

He'd expected more screaming and fighting from her, but it was as if she'd turned to stone. She hadn't spoken a word to him since the attack. She only sat there in silence, staring into the flickering embers of her fireplace with a dark gleam in her eyes.

Nikolai had only been persuaded to leave her side by the arrival of Josephine and Elise. The two women had been busy helping tend to the wounded and ensuring Josephine's father was safe. They claimed to have done all they could and they were now better put to use keeping an eye on Nastasia.

And, it seemed Volya was asking for him. Mischa had been waiting outside to walk with him. Now, they had reached the last stretch of hallway. The mutilated corpses of the murdered Guards had been removed already, but the puddles of blood still remained.

"Where's Yuri?" Nikolai asked at last, the first words he'd spoken to Mischa since that morning.

"With Daryn. He was injured during the attack and Yuri didn't want to leave him alone until he saw a healer."

Nikolai blinked in surprise and glanced at Mischa. "What? How badly? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"It wasn't fatal," Mischa replied quickly. "One of the Andrian soldiers caught him in the side soon after we broke into the throne room. Daryn pulled through until the fight was over but refused to let the Mages and healers treat him until others with worse injuries were healed. He was just going to see Danitza when we came up to get you."

Nikolai let out a slow breath and nodded. "Let me know how he recovers."

Mischa bowed his head and fell still as they reached the open doors of the throne room. Nikolai entered slowly, looking around for his brother. He spotted him not far from the thrones, accompanied by their mother.

Nikolai hurried over to them. Maria noticed his arrival first. Nikolai had barely reached them before she threw her arms around him in a crushing embrace. He returned it with a sigh of relief.

"Are you all right?" Maria asked, her words muffled by his shoulder. "I heard you were injured."

"I'm fine. Someone healed me while I was with Nastasia," he answered quietly. "Were you caught in the fighting?"

Maria shook her head as she drew back. "Most of us were being guarded by Andrians. We managed to break past them and came here, hoping to help, but when we arrived, the doors were sealed and your Mage friend was still trying to find a way in."

"Well, I'm glad you weren't here for what came next."

Maria pursed her lips, a worried look flooding her gaze. "I saw the room go dark and heard the screams. It was Nastasia, wasn't it? Her magic? It didn't reach out here. She must have kept it contained to the throne room."

Nikolai nodded. "Yes, it was her."

"Is she all right?"

"She's..." Nikolai trailed off, unsure of how to reply.

Maria squared her shoulders and fixed him with a firm look. "Then I'm going to check on her. Do not fight with your brother while I'm gone." Nikolai grimaced and Maria strode away.

When she was gone, he faced Volya. "Well?"

"There's no sign of the King or Queen," Volya reported. "It appears Queen Serafima escaped with the Emperor and they took the King hostage."