Chapter 48 ~ Living Nightmare

Time seemed to slow as the scene unfolded before Nikolai, a nightmare given life. Vadik's sword cleaved through Nastasia's stomach in a spray of crimson and the shield that had been forming before her, forming to protect him, shattered as her concentration was broken. Her lips parted in a scream as her knees crunched against the ground, but it soon became rasping gasps for air.

    Vadik stared in silent shock while Nastasia keeled over, her fingers clasping at her riven stomach. Blood gushed from the wound, already forming a muddy puddle in the dirt beneath her. Nikolai couldn't move. His limbs were held fast, as if frozen in ice. Her gurgling gasps echoed in his ears, deafening and horrible. And she was crying.

    He could hear her broken sobs amidst her gasps. Her scarf was stained by the tears falling beneath it. Nastasia's moonlight gaze found his, and the ice holding him thawed. Nikolai ripped his helmet off and scrambled towards her, fear locking his heart in a sickening grip.

    "Nasi," he breathed, covering her gaping wound with one of his hands. "By the Goddess... No, no, please." A shudder wracked her body and Nastasia threw one of her hands over his, clutching it fearfully. 

    The crowd blurred as his gaze swept over it, searching for any sign of help. He couldn't make out any familiar faces. "Don't just stand there," he pleaded. "Do something! Please!" He bent over Nastasia and pulled her scarf off. Her gaze remained fixed on his, distraught with fear and pain. "She's the Princess!" Nikolai shouted. "Help her, please!"

    "The Princess? Princess Nastasia? Is it her? It can't be. Summon a healer! Where are the King and Queen?" Shouts and screams jumbled together, pounding against Nikolai's temples.

    Nastasia's hand squeezed his, coaxing his attention back to her. "It's all right," Nikolai choked out, smoothing hair back from her forehead. "It'll be all right. There's a healer coming." At least, he prayed there was.

    His heart lurched as Nastasia's lashes fluttered and her breath became a sigh. "Hey, hey, no! Keep your eyes on me, Moonlight. Keep watching me. Stay with me, Nasi. Please, you have to stay with me!"

    Her eyes opened again, but just barely, and her gaze stared past him, unfocused and vacant. Her skin was pale. Too pale, even for her, and still, blood was gushing from her wound. Nikolai grabbed her scarf and pressed it over her wound, but it was instantly drenched in blood. A few tears dripped down his cheeks and he shook his head furiously.

    "What were you thinking?" He spat, the words more aimed at himself than her.

    "Go," Nastasia whispered in between rapid, shallow pants. "Go. They'll...they'll arrest you."

    "No." He shook his head again. "No, I'm not leaving you."

    "Nikolai, please." Her voice was barely audible.

    "No." His voice broke and his shoulders shook with a sob. He clutched her hand fiercely and raised her bloodstained fingers to his lips. "Just hold on. Help is coming. I promise, my love. Please, just hold on."

    The corners of her mouth lifted and she began to speak, but hands grabbed Nikolai by the shoulders and dragged him backwards before the words could come. "No!" He screamed, jerking against their grasp. "Let me go!"

    From across the ring, King Gavriil and Queen Serafima came running with Alexei on their heels. The three Royal Mages weren't far behind. "Nastasia!" The Queen exclaimed, as Gavriil fell to his knees at his daughter's side.

    "Let me go!" Nikolai screamed again, wrestling one arm loose from his captors. He flung his hand towards Nastasia, but an armored fist grabbed his wrist and wrangled his arm behind his back. "No! No, please! Nastasia!" She was shrouded from view now, surrounded by the three Mages, her parents, and a host of guards. Nikolai strained harder, but it was no use.