Chapter 35 ~ Powerful Women

"What do you mean?" Nikolai asked, his irritation all but forgotten at the mention of the upcoming challenge.

    If Danitza had managed to uncover new information about it that might be of use, he wasn't going to deny her the chance to share it. So far, the Knights had heard nothing about Seena's challenge, and the fact was weighing heavily on all of them.

    "I overheard part of a conversation between your brother and Vadik," Danitza said, lowering her voice as they passed by another group of Knights.

    "Supposedly this challenge will take place in the Dunes of Azzam. If that's the case, there is only one reason I could think of why they'd send you there." Nikolai pursed his lips, waiting expectantly. "The Dunes are said to test the hearts of men and those who do not pass vanish into the sands, never to be seen again."

    "Test their hearts for what?" Mischa pressed, a worried glint in his brown eyes.

    "Proof of a wicked and evil spirit. There are few who have managed to pass this test, and it won't be like anything you've faced before. Until now, all of your trials have been physical. This one will not be."

    Nikolai met Danitza's gaze, feeding a look of determination into Sir Arlov's eyes. "Then I'd better not enter it with any hidden frustration," he said.

    Danitza raised a brow, but said nothing until they entered the ballroom. She dipped her chin to Mischa and Yuri, then took Nikolai by the arm. "We won't be long," she said. His friends exchanged worried glances as she escorted Nikolai farther from the growing crowd.

    They slipped behind a wide column and Danitza released him. "Well?"

    "Where have you been?" He demanded. "Have you been purposefully avoiding me?"

    "Yes," came the brusque response. "I know that look in your eye. You have questions that you want me to answer, but I won't."

    "Why not?" Nikolai crossed his arms and held her gaze firmly.

    "Because you do not need me to. I know what you think you've pieced together."

    "What I think?" He repeated.

    "And if you were as certain about your assumption as you appear to be, you would've confronted her already. So why haven't you?" Danitza cocked her head and a knowing sneer played at her lips. Nikolai turned away, a frustrated hiss escaping between his teeth.

    "Because if you are right, and you confront the Silent Knight, you know she'll have every right to confront you too," Danitza said when he remained silent. "And you don't want to do that, do you? You don't want to admit to Nastasia that you lied to her and face the repercussions."

    "I don't want to reveal myself to someone who could report me if it turns out I'm wrong," Nikolai huffed. "That's why I want to be certain, and I know there's information about the Silent Knight that you're hiding from me. You know who she really is. You've known all along."

    "If you want to be certain, then wait until you are. Don't come to me for answers you know I won't give you."

    Nikolai grabbed her arm as Danitza turned to leave. "Why?"

    She jerked free of his grasp with a scowl. "The Silent Knight's secret is not mine to tell, nor is your own. If you want to confront her, be my guest, but I will not be brought further into this mess than I already am." She twisted out of reach and disappeared into the throng before Nikolai had a chance to stop her.

    His jaw clenched and he forced himself to draw a few steadying breaths before stepping out from behind the column. Mischa and Yuri joined him at once but Nikolai just waved a dismissive hand. "Not now," he muttered. "Let's just get through tonight so we can find out more about the challenge." His friends nodded and trailed him through the ballroom.