Chapter 22 ~ Alliances

Nikolai hissed with pain, jerking in Yuri's grasp while Danitza tended to his injured side. The Mage harbored no sympathy for him and made it evident with every stab of the needle through his flesh. Nikolai was certain she could heal him just by using magic if she so desired.

The needle bit into his skin once more and he yelped. "Goddess above, could you at least stop stabbing so hard?" Nikolai glowered at the Mage.

"You're lucky the wound didn't go any deeper, and that it didn't disrupt my magic," Danitza grunted.

"Disrupt your magic? You mean, those spirits could've broken through Nik's glamour and exposed him?" Yuri demanded. Behind him, Mischa crossed his arms with a frown. Nikolai didn't miss the way his fingers tightened around his biceps.

"Immense bodily strain can break any glamouring spell a Mage casts over an individual," Danitza explained. "If Nikolai's injuries had been worse, or if he'd even been killed, his glamour would've faded immediately."

"You should've told me that before the challenge began," Nikolai huffed. Pain split through his side again. "Ow, shit!" He dug his fingers into the edge of the crate he sat upon. Yuri was the only thing preventing him from leaping to his feet and escaping the torturous Mage.

"I didn't believe you'd actually face undead threats in those Woods," Danitza replied. "I thought it was just superstition."

"They were all too real." Nikolai closed his eyes and drew a measured breath. Danitza's next few stitches were slightly more gentle. "What do you think happened to those spirits I told you about? Could it be a Mage disguised as a Knight?"

"It's highly unlikely. If there were other Mages here, I would know. We have the ability to sense a person's magic, if they possess any." A thoughtful look crept into her ice blue eyes, but Danitza said nothing more. Nikolai didn't press the matter, knowing it would only get him another stab in the side.

"What about that Silent Knight?" Mischa asked. "I asked around but no one seems to know who he is or where he comes from."

"He's riding Moxie, which means he has to be from Nyctoli," Nikolai surmised, rubbing a hand over his cheek and onto his stubbled chin. It was nice to feel his own features again, rather than Sir Arlov's. "Either that or he stole her for the competition."

"I don't know of any Nyctolians who would want to sneak along and pose as a Knight, knowing the sentence that awaits them if they're caught," Yuri pointed out. Nikolai raised a brow. "Besides you, of course."

"Could it be the Princess's brother?" Danitza asked.

Nikolai thought for a moment. "He's close to Alexei's height, but I don't think Alexei would do something like this. And I don't think the Silent Knight is responsible for what happened to the spirits."

Danitza tied off the last of his stitches and stood. "We know nothing for certain. You'll just have to see if you can learn the identity of this mystery Knight while I look for other Mages in our midst. Now, pack your things and get some rest. There's a banquet tomorrow and we'll leave for Eldon the morning after."

Nikolai rose and Yuri and Mischa headed towards the tent entrance. "Oh, Nikolai," Danitza called. His friends paused and Nikolai faced her. Danitza cupped his face in her hands and began to chant softly, her words all but incomprehensible. Nikolai waited for the familiar tingling to fill his skin as his features were replaced by those of Alyosha Arlov.

His short curly hair lengthened into wavy locks. Brown eyes flecked with amber took on an almost black hue. His bronze skin lightened into a warm golden-brown. Danitza released him and Nikolai followed Mischa and Yuri out of the tent.