Chapter 42 ~ Prisoners of Magic

Nikolai didn't return to his tent for several hours following his unsettling encounter with Nastasia. When he finally did, he went accompanied by Yuri and Daryn, who remained in the tent with him while Mischa kept watch from outside. Danitza relieved him several hours before dawn.

Nikolai was still awake when Mischa ducked inside the tent and spread a bedroll near Yuri's feet. In fact, he was awake most of the night. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't seem to quiet his mind long enough to drift off to sleep. He was too worried about Nastasia and the challenge to come.

But he must've managed to doze a little, because he woke to find Yuri shaking his shoulder. Nikolai said up with a groan and scrubbed at his face, then buried his fingers in his hair. "You look so excited, Nik," Yuri teased. "Come on. You'd better hurry. Emperor Kazimir will announce the challenge in just a few minutes."

"Why didn't you wake me sooner?" Nikolai grunted. He twisted out of his bedroll and begrudgingly struggled into his clothes.

"We were only just informed. Common courtesy isn't very common here apparently. I'm going to find Danitza. Your glamour needs to be touched up."

Nikolai nodded and busied himself with strapping his armor into place while Yuri slipped out. He had just finished buckling Toska's scabbard around his hips when the Mage appeared. Nikolai stood silently while Danitza worked. At last, she broke the silence.

"Be careful," she warned. "I think I know where the challenge will take place and I expect there will be many casualties today." Nikolai barely inclined his head and made to step around her. Danitza caught him by the arm and fixed her piercing blue gaze on his. "Ismene granted me a vision last night."

That caught his attention. "What did you see?" Nikolai prompted.

"Many things shrouded by blood and darkness. The only thing I could make out for certain was a duel. It began between two figures and ended with three. The third one was struck down. I think... It appeared that they were killed."

"Will it happen here?"

"I don't know. It may not happen at all, but Nikolai..." Something like remorse crossed her proud features. "I prayed for this vision. I asked that Ismene would grant me a glimpse of your fate." Nikolai tensed. "And Nastasia's."

"Then I guess we'd better hope that Nastasia and I were the ones doing the killing," Nikolai replied. A trumpet blared before he could say anything more. "I have to go. If you have any more visions..."

"I'll let you know," Danitza answered, not waiting for him to finish. "Good luck, Stableboy."

Nikolai rolled his eyes but couldn't suppress a faint smile as he left the tent. That was the closest he and Danitza had come to getting along in a while. It was good to know that she was still looking out for him in some ways. Nikolai set off across the campground to where the other Knights were gathering. Yuri and Daryn joined him shortly.

"Where's Mischa?" Nikolai asked.

"He was speaking with Lady Dahl the last time I saw him," Daryn replied.

Nikolai flashed a smile at Yuri. "I'm glad they're getting along so well. I honestly thought she would tire of him long ago."

"Apparently not," Yuri answered. "I can't help but wonder what their conversations consist of when it's just the two of them. Mischa hardly says anything when they're around us."

"He's probably afraid you'll embarrass him. You do tend to just say whatever pops into your head," Daryn chuckled. Yuri scoffed and rolled his eyes, but didn't refute the claim. Nikolai laughed to himself, then fell silent as they reached the other Knights.