Chapter 41 ~ The Poet's Notebook

Anxiety and anticipation set in hard and fast upon their arrival in Larys. Every day, Nastasia accompanied Josephine and Elise to inquire about the next challenge, but every day, the answer was the same. The Emperor would not reveal it until the end of the week.

    Until then, they were encouraged to partake of the festivities throughout the city. Nastasia had no desire for any of them. The last thing she wanted to do right now was go out drinking and dancing. And the fact that every Knight was being pushed to do so left her feeling very suspicious. The Emperor was disorienting them for something.

    Nastasia could almost guarantee that when the challenge began, all the Knights who had spent the week celebrating would come to regret it. Thankfully, she wasn't the only Knight with some semblance of sense. Most of the other Nyctolian Knights were refraining from the parties too.

    A conversation with Sir Arlov and his aides revealed that they shared Nastasia's suspicions. She was grateful for that. Sir Arlov seemed to be taking their alliance seriously, and she hoped it would be to both of their advantages.

    The days passed slower and slower the closer it came to the time of the tournament. Nastasia attempted to pass the time by training and even practicing her magic. She had to be careful though. Andrian guards and Knights were patrolling everywhere. Their presence was so overbearing that she was beginning to feel more like a prisoner than a guest, and something told her that was exactly how Emperor Kazimir intended for them to feel.

    On the evening of the sixth day, Nastasia found herself absently wandering through the camp. The day had been a particularly trying one. She'd stumbled across a private conversation between her father and General Nikita. Once more, her mother had been absent, and that was part of the discussion.

    "She won't tell me where she's going or what she's doing. I think she's doing something in regards to our search for Nastasia, but I don't see why she won't just tell me," Gavriil had explained.

    "Perhaps she won't answer you because what she's doing is something she knows you'd disapprove of," General Nikita responded. "I don't want to lay down false implications, but the Queen grew up here. She has friends and family who remain. Maybe even..."

    "Don't overstep your position, General," Gavriil warned.

    "Your Majesty," General Nikita had tried again, then, softer, "Gavriil, neither of us are strangers to the Queen's habit of sending private messages here. You have never permitted me to intercept them or even to review them, nor have you done so yourself, but maybe it's time to open yourself to the possibility. The Queen might have a lover here."

    Nastasia's heart had clenched with pain for her father when he shook his head, closing his eyes briefly. "I refuse to accuse her of something that may not be true. And...even if it is, I don't believe that's what Serafima is doing right now. She's smart enough to know we've noticed her disappearances. She wouldn't put someone special to her at risk like this."

    "Then what do you want me to do?"

    Many silent minutes had passed before Gavriil finally gave an answer. "Just make sure she's safe. Don't try to stop her."

    "You don't want to know what she's doing?"

    "Not unless you suspect it's something that will bring harm to my children or my kingdom."

    "And what about to you?"

    "Protect my Queen, General. That is your order." Her father had left without waiting for General Nikita's response, and Nastasia had retreated to her tent to process everything she'd overheard.