Chapter 21 ~ The Silent Knight

Nikolai rolled between two spirits and sprang back onto his feet, panting for breath. He didn't have time to catch it though. A third spirit lunged at him from behind. Nikolai drove his sword back into the creature and shivered as the spirit wailed, the runes carved upon his blade performing their task. He yanked his sword free and dodged another attack.

    "Let us in," one of the spirits moaned. "We'll make it quick. We'll make it painless. Let us in!"

    "That's not going to happen," Nikolai spat. The creature shrieked and descended upon him. He raised his sword.

    A second set of talons caught his wrist. Blood sprayed and Toska fell from his grasp. Nikolai doubled over with a cry of pain. He barely managed to duck past another attack. The spirits kept coming, blurring in and out of sight. Nikolai stumbled over a tree root and dropped to the ground, coughing as the breath was knocked from his lungs.

    Nikolai fumbled with the hem of his tunic which barely stuck out beneath his haphazardly applied armor. Another pained hiss slipped past his gritted teeth. The spirits were almost upon him. Nikolai ripped a portion of his shirt free and sucked down deep breaths while he bound his injured wrist. He cried out as he pulled it taut, and the spirits dove.

    Nikolai bolted beneath them and flung himself at Toska. His hand closed around the hilt of the sword just as the spirits rounded on him. He whipped the blade up in time to parry another blow.

    The spirit shrieked into his face, pressing Toska closer towards his chest. Nikolai braced his injured hand against the sword and struggled beneath the spirit. The cloth around his wrist was already soaked through and blood dripped down his arm.

    Nikolai clenched his jaw, refusing to give way. The creature screamed once more and the other two spirits slammed into him. Pain spasmed through Nikolai's arm and his wrist buckled. His eyes flew wide as one spirit struck at him. He rolled to the side, but the wraith's talons cleaved through the chainmail guarding his waist. Nikolai swallowed a scream and forced himself to lift his head.

    His gaze landed upon a tangle of tree roots only a few feet away. If he could get inside them, maybe he'd be safe for the remaining minutes until sunrise. They'll buy me a little more time at least, Nikolai thought, already clawing his way towards them.

    He pushed himself to his feet and wrapped an arm around his middle. Blood wet his fingers, but he didn't look at the wound. He was scanning the roots for a way inside them.

    The howling spirits gaze chase. One lashed out at him again, coming close enough that Nikolai felt a gust of air brush his neck. He put on another burst of speed, aiming for a narrow crevice between two of the roots.

    Nikolai began to unfasten his armor, letting pieces fall as he hobbled along. The fit would be tight, if he could even make it at all. He prayed that he could. The spirits lashed out at him again just as he shed his pauldrons.

    Nikolai dropped to the ground and shimmied towards the crevice. He grabbed one of the roots with his uninjured hand and dragged himself through the opening, twisting his torso sideways so that he could fit. Nikolai receded deeper into the roots until his back pressed against the tree.

    The enraged spirits clawed at the outer layer of roots, but couldn't seem to reach him. Nikolai leaned his head back against the tree and gulped down uneven breaths. Hot pain pulsed from his side and his wrist was throbbing. The blood flow from his wrist had slowed, but his side was still damp. Nikolai applied pressure with his arm again, grunting with discomfort.

    Beyond the cage of roots protecting him, the first rays of dawn filtered through the crimson treetops. Nikolai went rigid. The spirits hadn't left yet. They were still tearing away at the roots. Wood splintered and talons reached through the roots. Nikolai's heart pounded against his chest, loud enough that he could barely hear the shrieks of the wraiths.