Chapter 7 ~ Her Chosen Fate

Nastasia brushed her fingers across the sleeves of the many ornate gowns hanging within her closet. The day of the Council meeting had finally arrived. It would commence in less than an hour. Already, her stomach was knotted with nervous anxiety, which was worsening with each passing minute.

Cool shadows wrapped around her pale wrists and Nastasia didn't bother to disperse them. Their presence was somewhat comforting, as they seemed partially sentient. They tended to emerge on their own from time to time, often when she was feeling intense emotions. Emotions which they somehow mimicked. Wrapping around her wrists in the manner that they were now seemed to be their equivalent of giving an embrace.

"Today we'll find out if I'm to be married," Nastasia murmured to the shadows, still toying the sleeve of a gown. "I wonder how I'd look wearing Andrian's official colors." She grimaced at the thought of wearing only red and black. "I'd look terrifying. Like a ghost covered in blood and darkness." Perhaps that was what she would become by the end of all this.

A knock sounded at the door before her parents entered. "You needn't bother with a court gown," Serafima said. "You won't be attending this meeting."

Nastasia stared back at her mother, her jaw dropping. "What? Why?"

"We must do what's best for our people, and if you are present, it will be much harder to choose the right path, rather than the one that would spare you."

"You can't be serious." Nastasia shifted her gaze between her parents. "That's not fair. I should have a say in what is decided, or at least be present when you choose to give me to a bloody tyrant." The shadows wound up her arms, lashing out in inky tendrils.

"I'm sorry, Nasi," Gavriil sighed. "Your mother is right. Whatever is decided today must be for the good of the kingdom, not for you. I know it sounds callous, but..."

Nastasia turned away, curling her hands into fists as she drew uneven breaths. "We must all make sacrifices," Serafima spoke again. A gentle hand touched Nastasia's shoulder.

She jerked away from her mother. "And as I've said before, I must make an even greater one."

"The Soothsayer told us you'd gone to visit him," Gavriil said. "He told us the warning you have been offered. Do not think we take this decision lightly, or that we are willing to sacrifice you."

"But your father is sovereign, and it is his duty to ensure the safety of our people first and foremost," Serafima added. "As their Princess and a Saint of the Goddess, it is your duty as well." Her quiet footsteps receded and the door closed in her wake.

"Nasi," Gavriil called. Nastasia turned to face him, fighting to keep her fear and anger from reflecting on her features. Nausea and anxiety churned in her stomach. "Today will be hard for us all," he said, taking a step towards her. "But I promise I will not make a decision without exploring every possible avenue. I may be King, but I am also your father."

He heaved a sigh. "Sometimes it is hard to be both." Nastasia didn't resist when he wrapped his arms around her. She tucked her head against his chest and squeezed her eyes shut. "I did not beseech the Two-Faced Goddess to save you then, only to lose you now," he murmured.

Nastasia didn't reply. They stood in silence for a few minutes more before Gavriil released her and retreated from the room. Nastasia trailed after him. She found Alexei hovering just outside the door. He slipped his hand into hers. "Are you going to listen in?" He whispered.

Nastasia nodded. "Will you be joining me?"

Alexei shook his head. "I have to go to the meeting."

She gave a wry laugh. "Would you like to trade places?"