Chapter 24 ~ Quiet Discoveries

The evening was winding down faster than Nikolai had expected. It wasn't even midnight and already, guests were heading off to bed. I shouldn't be surprised, he thought. The Knights have had a long week and we're leaving for Eldon in the morning. I should get some sleep too.

    He scanned the room for Mischa and Yuri, but there was no sign of either of his friends. Nikolai did see the Silent Knight standing a few yards off. He was leaning against a pillar, eyes closed and shoulders shifting with deep, even breaths. Nikolai started towards the Knight and cleared his throat.

    The Knight opened his eyes and a glimmer of warmth flashed through them. Nikolai crossed his arms and rested his back against the pillar. "I hope you don't mind if I join you." The Knight shook his scarf-covered head. "It seems I've misplaced my friends. Are they still with those ladies you arrived with?"

    The Silent Knight straightened and eyed the banquet hall, watching the dancing couples especially. After a moment, he shrugged. Nikolai's mouth lifted in a grin. "That probably means yes and we just can't see them." The corners of the Knight's eyes crinkled. "So, can you not speak at all or do you choose to remain silent?"

    The Knight inclined his head. Nikolai took it as agreement to the latter part of his question. "Are you from Nyctoli? I've recognized your mount as one of the horses stabled at the palace." The Knight nodded once more, but this time, there was a guarded look in his eyes. "Have we met before?" The Knight tensed.

    "I don't plan on figuring out your identity just yet," Nikolai quickly reassured him. "And if I did, I wouldn't expose you. I'm only curious; that's all." The Knight watched him warily before bowing his head. "Interesting," Nikolai said, stroking his jaw thoughtfully. "I look forward to eventually learning your identity, Silent Knight. I hope I'll be impressed."

    "Sir Arlov!" He turned to see Yuri sprinting towards him. "Sorry to interrupt, but Danitza wishes to speak to you."

    "I'll go at once," Nikolai replied. "Where's Mischa?"

    "Still dancing with Lady Dahl. Should I interrupt them?"

    "If you think the matter's urgent."

    Yuri shook his blond head. "She only said she'd learned something you might be interested in hearing."

    "All right. Fetch him whenever you're ready to leave. I'll go to my tent after I speak with Danitza."

    Yuri shot him a smile as he bowed at the waist. "Of course, Sir."

    Nikolai fought the urge to roll his eyes and faced the Silent Knight. "I'll see you on the road, then." The Knight gave a curt nod and Nikolai headed off.

•༻᯽༺•

    Yuri didn't linger long after Sir Arlov left, for which Nastasia was grateful. She wasn't sure how many more silent conversations she could handle. Her nerves were frayed into extinction and her eyes burned with weariness. Her entire body ached, even her very bones groaning with dull pain. She wanted to curl up in bed and sleep for an entire month.

    Unfortunately, that wasn't an option. She'd have to make do with a few hours of sleep tonight and whatever she could catch on the way to Eldon. Despite her exhaustion, Nastasia found herself excited by the prospect of their next challenge. The spirits in the Rodt Woods had been terrifying, but what she'd done there... It was like nothing she'd ever done before, and she found herself wanting to do it again.

    Nastasia studied her hands, being careful not to summon her starlight or allow her shadows to emerge. All her life, she'd viewed her powers as something that set her apart. Something strange and frightening. She'd learned only the basics of what she could do. What Saint Daniil had shown her... It opened her mind to endless possibilities.