Chapter 52 ~ Coming Together

Nastasia stared at her reflection in the mirror, not recognizing the woman looking back at her. It was as if she'd become someone else entirely, or a wraith of who she once was. Crimson jewels and elaborate embroidery swept across her silver wedding gown like ripples of blood, perfectly portraying how she felt. Torn open and bled dry. Belonging not to herself, but to the Emperor whom the red was meant to represent.

Nastasia raised trembling fingers to the swooping neckline of the dress and traced the ermine fur lining it. The same fur followed the open seams of her sleeves all the way down to the cuffs, and rimmed the hems of her outer skirt and train.

She drew a shallow breath and shifted her hands higher to the strands of rubies and pearls that framed her face. The large silver headdress from which they dangled covered her snowy hair and rose above her like a crescent moon. Shadows clutched her fingers almost painfully.

She flinched as the door opened behind her and someone cleared their throat. Nastasia turned, her brows lifting in surprise as she noticed Volya standing in the doorway. The handmaidens accompanying her eyed the Captain suspiciously.

"I've been sent to escort the Princess to their Majesties," Volya explained. "The ceremony will begin shortly."

"We were told the King would be coming here to retrieve her," one of the handmaidens protested.

"And he was until some last minute concerns were brought to his attention. If you'd prefer, I can leave the Princess here and you can explain to the King, the Emperor, and our guests why the ceremony will begin late."

The handmaiden closed her mouth and averted her eyes. The other curtsied to Nastasia and gave her a slow nod. Nastasia ignored both of them and joined Volya. He stepped to the side silently, allowing her to pass. She led the way down the hall and was aware of him following only a few steps behind.

Minutes passed in silence while they drew further away from her room, until at last, Nastasia spoke. "I hope you won't let this go to waste," she spat. "Nikolai doesn't deserve to be locked up and treated as a prisoner, least of all by his own brother. I'm giving myself away for his safety and freedom. Make sure he gets it."

"He will," Volya answered. Nastasia whipped her head around, gawking at him in surprise. "I know your agreement to this is the only reason he's still alive. For my mother's sake, I thank you."

"Not for your own?" She scoffed. "Do you care nothing for him at all, Volya? Do you care nothing for me?" She shook her head and faced forward once more. "Of course not. You stopped caring the moment you chose your father over us. Even when he was gone, you still chose him."

"I don't have to justify all of my decisions to you."

"No, but you do to Nikolai. He deserves it."

Volya gave a heavy sigh. "If I get the chance, I will try to."

Nastasia didn't answer. They had made their way down a few flights of stairs while talking and now, the low din of voices filled the air. The throne room was just down the corridor, and that, she assumed, was where the ceremony would take place.

A slow tremble filled her body until her silent breaths shook with fear and anxiety. She couldn't go through with this. She had to do something! She couldn't just give herself over to whatever vile schemes Kazimir had planned around her. She would not be used like some lifeless weapon!

Nastasia let out a faint gasp as Volya grabbed her arm and jerked her backwards. Before she could shout, a cool leather-wrapped hilt was pressed into her palm.

"Keep your eyes open," Volya murmured. "Nikolai believes Kazimir is planning to assassinate your father. Protect him, and protect yourself." He released her and backed away, leaving her in front of a set of double doors.