Chapter 11

[Mabel]

Months passed by in a haze and soon it was my birthday. Kibum had sent me a huge bouquet of flowers as well as many expensive gifts, like a new phone and clothes from his favourite brands.

It felt like such a nice reward for getting through two years of hard work, an internship with an overbearing sexist boss, and endless hours commuting in London.

I was gonna graduate soon and I wished he could be there but he couldn't, so I decided to facetime him afterwards instead.

"Hey." He smiled, clearly in the car.

"Hey, the ceremony just finished." I panned around and showed him the outside of the building, and my classmates in the background.

"Let me see what you're wearing."

One of his friends wolf-whistled and he blushed, telling him off in Korean. I laughed, having been informed of how much his members liked to tease him.

"It's a graduation gown, see?" I put the phone down on a wall and showed him. "I'll send you the pictures later."

"Okay. I'm so proud of you."

"Thanks." I beamed. "How did the music show go?"

"Good, we had to rehearse three times so it was tiring."

"Will it be out tomorrow?"

"Yeah, surely. But today is about you."

"Isn't it like night-time there?"

"Doesn't matter." He readjusted himself. "What are your plans?"

"I'm gonna go eat with some friends."

"Oh okay then, well have a meal on me."

"You don't have to do that."

"I want to."

I smiled, wanting to say something more, but decided to drop it in front of his friends.

"I know all the time and effort you put in and no one deserves this degree more."

"Aw," I said.

"I'm really proud of you."

"So proud!" shouted a voice behind, that I had learned was Jinki.

Minho entered the frame to give me a thumbs up, which I returned, and Taemin waved politely in the background. The members didn't speak much English but they all seemed really nice.

"Anyway, I've got to go soon, the girls wanna get going."

"Okay, I love you."

"I love you too."

I hung up the call and went to eat out with my friends, enjoying the day we'd all worked hard for. I would soon be moving into an appartment with my housemate Tasha, and I had managed to secure a job in archiving. Things were going pretty well.

When I was going to bed I was surprised to receive a call from Kibum.

"Hey sweetie, shouldn't you be sleeping? It's early morning in Seoul."

"I just wanted to hear your voice."

I smiled. He was so cute and romantic at times.

"Well, you're hearing it."

"I also want to ask you about something."

"Go on."

"Do you want to come visit me in Korea?"

I paused for a moment. "Yes, but how?"

"Maybe before you start your job?"

I had about a month before I did, so it was feasible, but I knew I couldn't afford it.

"That's a good idea, but I can't right now."

"I'll pay for everything, it's okay."

But I don't want you to, I thought. I must have been silent for too long because Kibum said, "do you not want to?"

"Of course I do. I was just worried about logistics."

"It's okay, let me handle it. I really wanna see you." I could see a bit of his adorable smile in the dark and my heart melted.

"Okay then."

He propped himself up. "Great! I will plan it. Can't wait to see you jagiya."

"Can't wait to see you either."

"One day we won't be separated by a screen."

"I certainly hope so."

He blew me a kiss and I sent him off to sleep, because I could tell he was tired. Laying back in bed, I contemplated my upcoming trip to Korea, feeling nervous. I'd never left the UK before and I didn't know any Korean. What if his friends didn't like me, or worse, his parents? What would I do then?

Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night.