Chapter 6

[Mabel]

As soon as I saw Kibum's name appear on the screen, my heart rose with excitement. We'd been video calling as much as possible for a month and it was surprising just how quickly I'd gotten attached to him.

"Hey." He waved at me, still in the car by the looks of it.

"Hi. How was your day?"

He sighed. "Tiring."

He was in the middle of preparing for his album, so he was always tired these days.

"Are you almost home?"

"Yes, just pulling up now."

He thanked his driver, who I'd learned was his manager, and made his way upstairs to his place. Even though he wasn't speaking yet, I loved to see him doing mundane things. It made me feel like we were closer together.

"Finally," he breathed out as he entered his flat, and I heard his dogs barking.

"Have you eaten yet?"

"No, I can't eat much."

He lay down on the sofa and looked at me, giving me a tired smile.

"You look so skinny though."

He laughed. "It's only for a short time."

I smiled, still mildly concerned. Truth be told, I couldn't see why he couldn't just eat like everyone else.

"Okay, well take care of yourself."

"I will." His dog, Comme Des, pushed his nose into the screen. "I think he likes you already."

I chuckled. "He's so cute."

"Only with others." Kibum snorted.

"Tell me about your day."

I listened intently as he told me all about the performance he'd done, the interviews and the practice. The life of a Kpop star sounded so gruelling that it wasn't something that I'd ever want to do, but it was clear that he liked it. Kibum seemed to shine on stage, from what I'd seen of his performances online.

"You know, when I'm done with this promotion, I'll have free time again. Maybe I can come see you?"

"That'd be nice."

"I'll see what I can do."

He yawned and I smiled, sensing he needed sleep.

"Go to sleep, Kibum."

He made a face but didn't put up a fight. "Okay then."

"And promise you'll eat tomorrow?"

"Pinky promise." He held up his pinky as I held up mine.

"Sweet dreams."

He blew me a kiss and ended the call. I leaned back in my chair, smiling.

School had started again for me, and I was back to studying my masters part-time alongside working at the library. We had to squeeze in time to talk, but it was always worth it. We were getting to know each other more and the more I did, the more I liked him. We weren't anything to each other yet but I was looking forward to whenever I'd see him again in the flesh.

_____

4 months passed by comfortably with Kibum. We'd gotten into a rhythm and it really felt like we were part of each other's lives. Still, I had a lot of work as did he, so who knew when we'd really see each other again.

I was rearranging some books on a shelf in the library, not really thinking of anything, when I pulled one out and saw Kibum's face there. I made a surprised sound and immediately put my hands over my mouth. I couldn't scream in a library!

"Kibum! What-"

He laughed. "I wanted to surprise you."

He came around to my side and enveloped me in a hug.

"You almost made me scream in a library!" I lightly slapped his arm but buried my head in his chest, happy to see him.

"How come you're here? I thought you couldn't make it?"

"I found a way." He smirked. "I know it's your holidays."

"Wow, you are so sneaky."

He laughed, a sound I had missed hearing in real life.

"I also know you'll be off in ten minutes, so I'm gonna wait around."

He smiled at me and went to sit down. My work after that was probably shoddy because I could barely concentrate with Kibum only a few feet away.

As soon as it was time, I grabbed my stuff and he followed me outside. I stood there and looked at him as he looked at me, eventually giving me an amused look.

"Aren't you gonna say something?" He tilted his head.

"I don't know what to say." I laughed.

"That would be the first time."

"Hey!" I shoved his arm and he put it around me, drawing me closer. "So, where are you staying?"

"I rented an appartment not too far away from here. Wanna see it?"

"Sure."

Kibum put his hand out and I took it, letting him lead me there. I was thrilled at all this attention, but I wondered what he was really thinking.

"Here it is."

It was a fancy appartment, way fancier than anything I'd ever been in. He clearly hadn't unpacked a thing as his suitcases lay abandoned in the living room.

"I can see you were in a hurry."

Kibum blushed a little. "I saw no reason to wait."

"Do you want me to help you unpack?"

"Oh you don't have to."

"I don't mind. A person's belongings says a lot about them, and I'm curious about what you packed." I smirked at him and he returned it.

"Alright then."

He dragged his suitcase into his room and opened it up, revealing neatly packed clothes along with what looked like food.

"You brought snacks?"

"Yeah, I brought some stuff for you. And just things I miss when I travel."

I had a look at all of the packages, none of it familiar to me. At least it seemed like he had brought tea.

Kibum was grabbing his clothes and putting it into drawers, so I picked something up, which turned out to be his underwear.

"Nice," I said as I held it up. He looked over and blushed, grabbing it quickly.

"Don't look at my underwear! Pack something else."

I laughed. "I have seen underwear before."

He was blushing too much to say anything so he just waved me off and I chuckled as I helped him pack the rest.

When we were finished, we both went to sit on the sofa. Kibum put his arm behind me as he went through channels, finally settling on one.

I looked at him as he did this, admiring the curve of his lips and nose and his sharp jawline. We'd been talking for quite a while, but I didn't know what we were to each other to be honest. If he didn't tell me, I'd probably have to ask him by the end of his holiday.

"How long are you staying?"

"Almost two weeks. That's how long you said you had, right?"

"Right."

He smiled. "This time I want to get out of London and see other things. Any suggestions?"

"I can take you around Edinburgh if you want."

"I'd like that."

We chatted some more that evening before I decided to go home. Standing in the doorway, Kibum towered over me (and I wasn't particularly short) as he said "see you tomorrow" and planted a kiss on my cheek.

I decided it was safe to assume we were dating.