Chapter 14

[Mabel]

Kibum was certainly excited about everything he had to show me. He took me to see the essentials, like the National Museum and the N Tower, and then took me to more niche places, like quirky cafés. I was learning so much about his culture and it made me feel so much closer to him, because I understood where he was coming from more.

"Can I see where you work?" I asked him as we walked one day.

"What, SM?"

"Yeah."

He paused for a moment. "I suppose so. But remember how I told you we need to be discreet?"

"Yes."

"We'll need to come up with a cover story. They don't know about you yet."

I nodded in understanding. "Okay then."

"How about we say you're a choreographer? We often have foreign ones."

"But I can't dance like one."

"No one will ask you to dance, it's just in case someone asks."

"Alright, I trust you."

He smiled brightly when I said that. "It won't be forever, okay?"

"Okay." He kissed my hand and we kept walking.

He took me to Seoul Forest station the next day. The SM building was huge and imposing, and I felt a bit intimidated to be honest. Key clearly knew a lot of the people there.

"Come, I'll take you around all the interesting bits."

I resisted holding his hand and fiddled with my visitor badge instead.

"Here is the SM café."

"You guys have a café?"

"Yeah." He smiled. "Want anything?"

"Anything you suggest."

He ordered me a drink and I took it with me as he showed me some of the offices, and the place where they filmed some of their content. He then took me to the floor where they recorded music. It all seemed so polished and important.

"I like the little touches they have for the artists," I commented as I admired the polaroid wall.

"I like them too. See, here we are."

I saw a picture of Shinee, noticing Jonghyun was in it. Kibum had told me about him, and I wished I'd had the chance to meet him. It was clear he meant a lot to him.

"So this is it really." Kibum gestured around. "What do you think?"

"Well, it all looks so official. It's way bigger than I could have imagined. It's a bit intimidating."

He chuckled. "I guess it could seem that way, but I'm used to it."

"Will I get to see you perform?"

"Of course. I have a show soon so you'll get to see that."

"Cool." I smiled at him, wishing I could kiss him. It was kind of hard having to think about every little thing we did outside, what was okay where. In London we had way more freedom and I missed that.

"Let me show you something in the studio."

He took me into the recording studio and checked the equipment, and then surprised me with a kiss.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't resist."

"Don't apologise, I've been wanting to do that this whole tour."

We kissed some more in the studio before reluctantly breaking apart. We'd continue that at home.

Once at home eating dinner, Kibum decided to ask me something.

"Hey, do you wanna meet the members soon? They've been asking me about it."

"Sure." I swallowed nervously. "But how will we communicate? They don't speak English."

"It's okay, they're pretty good at understanding it, they're just too shy to speak it. And I'll be there to translate."

"Teach me how to say hello in Korean. I feel like I don't know anything."

I'd done research before coming but there was only so much one could learn.

"You say annyeonghaseyo."

I repeated it slowly until I got it.

"And then you bow, like this. But honestly they won't hold it against you if you just act as usual."

"Okay, I just want to make a good impression."

Key smiled. "They like you already."

I smiled back and we were silent for a while.

"There's something else..." He started.

"What?"

"Do you wanna meet my parents?"

I put down my cutlery. "Your parents?"

"Well, I kind of told them about you and they want to meet you."

I wasn't really prepared for this so I didn't know how to respond. He looked a bit nervous too and I didn't wanna make it worse for him.

"That makes me feel a bit anxious, but okay, if it makes you happy."

"They won't grill you or anything, they just want to meet you."

I knew he was close to his parents so I understood why it mattered to him. I loved my mum but to be honest we didn't talk every day. I only mentioned Kibum in passing to her.

"Alright then."

Kibum smiled and hugged me. "I know it's a lot at once."

I nodded. "It is, but I wanted to experience your life."

"How is it so far?"

"Challenging."

He nodded in understanding.

"But it makes me appreciate you more."

"Aw," he said, not knowing how to respond. I loved it when he got flustered by my compliments.

"I'll arrange to go have a meal with the members as soon as then. No point putting it off."

"Okay." I smiled. "And then let's cuddle."

Kibum smiled. "Okay, let's cuddle."

We hopped into bed and I nestled into him, enjoying his embrace.