Chapter 18

[Mabel]

The next couple of days went by peacefully. Kibum was wonderful, being very attentive and reassuring. I was wrong to ever doubt him. Despite how up there his life looked, he never used that as an excuse to judge others.

However, things weren't peaceful for long.

There was a knock on the door and Tasha, my flatmate, went to open it. She soon came back, followed by someone in scruffy clothes.

"Hey Mabel, this lady says she knows you?"

I looked up and made eye contact with Sasha. She looked thin and tired, and like she could do with a shower. Kibum looked up too, not saying anything.

"How do you know where I live?"

"Mum told me."

"Of course she did."

Tasha looked between the two of us. "I'll be in my room if you need me."

Kibum chose to stay, sitting quietly on the sofa.

"Who's that?" Sasha suddenly noticed him.

"My boyfriend."

"Oh. I think mum mentioned you had one."

"What do you need?"

"Can I stay here for a couple of days?"

"Did you sort your previous problem?"

"Sort of. Still missing some of the money so I need to hide out until I get it."

"Right. Why not at mum's?"

"Can't afford the ticket up there. And they know the address, they don't know this one."

I looked over at Kibum. "I can't put him in danger. Or Tasha."

"You won't be in danger, I promise." She got down on her knees. "Please?"

I sighed and looked at Kibum again. He shrugged.

"Alright then."

"Thanks!"

"But this is the one and only time, got it?"

"Got it."

"Go shower, the bathroom is over there. I'll bring clothes."

She obliged and left the room. Key came over to me.

"Are you alright?"

"Honestly, I'm not sure. I don't want you to be in danger."

He smiled. "I can take care of myself. I'm more worried about you. If it's too much for you, we'll ask her to leave, okay?"

"Okay."

I was so grateful to have someone who understood.

Once Sasha was clean, she sat on the sofa next to Kibum.

"So, what's your name? Do you speak English? I think mum said you're from elsewhere."

"I'm Kibum and I'm from Korea."

"Cool. You must know about Kpop then."

I let out an involuntary chuckle at that.

"Yeah, I do." Kibum smirked.

They made conversation while I made food for us all. We ate in silence, but at least it wasn't uncomfortable.

Sasha stayed three days before leaving.

"I wish things were different," I said quietly.

"Me too. I don't like seeing you unhappy." He kissed my temple.

"Maybe one day."

I turned to him and buried my head in his chest, taking in his unique scent. I just loved everything about him.

"You make me feel safe," I mumbled.

"Aww." He patted my head. "I'm glad."

That night I let him hold me as I thought about everything that had happened.

"Hey, can you sing?"

Kibum was taken aback. "Right now?"

"Yeah."

"I told you, I can't just sing like that."

"Why not? You're a singer."

He chuckled. "Okay, it's just that it's not my favourite way to sing."

"I don't care if you sound perfect or not, I just wanna hear your voice."

"Alright then. What do you want to hear?"

I thought for a moment. "Countless."

"I don't think I can remember the lyrics, give me a second."

He grabbed his phone and looked it up, beginning to sing. I looked at him as he did, eventually closing my eyes to better appreciate his voice. I was so lucky to have him, I knew that. In that moment, I knew I'd never let him go.