Chapter One: Meet and Greet

The steady ticking of the analogue clock that hung in the small kitchen continued to echo in the silence of the trailer home as the morning carried on

The steady ticking of the analogue clock that hung in the small kitchen continued to echo in the silence of the trailer home as the morning carried on. Off to the side in the living room, Keira sat at her desk, writing over the data she had taken out in the field the day prior when a whining sound caused her to glance up. Looking over in the direction of the front door, she could see her German Shepherd waiting impatiently at the door. Dino had been standing there, rotating between whining and pawing at the door to make his point that he was ready to leave and go out for the day. However, Keira wasn't ready to head out just yet, leaving him to start making all sorts of noises.

"Well, if you stopped interrupting me every three seconds I would be able to finish what I need to do and then we would be able to go out!" Keira called over to him, but it all fell on deaf ears as Dino simply barked back at her.

With a heavy sigh, Keira realised that she probably wasn't going to be able to finish her work until Dino was tired out for the day. Closing her databook over, she picked herself up and made her way to the kitchen, knowing she had to eat something before heading out into the field or her stomach was going to grumble in protest. Luckily, taking any food out was enough to keep Dino distracted from the idea that he wasn't outside as of yet. He followed her over the refrigerator, his head reaching her hip and remaining close at any prospect of food falling in his direction.

"You're spoiled, you know that, right?" Keira chuckled as she grabbed some lunch meat and pulled out a few slices of honey turkey to make a sandwich while throwing a slice the dog's way. Within just a second or so, Dino swallowed the turkey slice whole and continued to look at her, expecting more. But he was offered no more as Keira continued on her way to make her sandwich and once she had her meal in hand, she hopped up to sit on the kitchen counter with Dino planting himself in front of her on the floor.

Of course, every so often, she would throw him a bit of bread, meat, or even a tidbit of cheese, which he would gobble down without any sort of restraint. One would assume that she was practically starving her dog with how quick he was to eat anything. But she just blamed it on the fact that he was still a growing boy at only three years old.

Glancing over in the direction of the clock once more, she could see that it was already about to hit eleven and with the sun about to reach the highest point in the sky around noon, Keira thought about where she would find the Gallimimus herd once she ventured out as they were her top priority to observe that day.  She had been rotating between territories the past couple of days to observe herd behaviour ranging from the Triceratops to the Gallimimus, but the Gallimimus were a fast-moving herd in comparison to the Triceratops that were rather stationary.

Normally, she wouldn't have been so concerned with the movements, but since some juveniles had been newly introduced among the herbivore paddocks, Keira wanted to make sure that they were accepted and adjusting well. Of course, there wasn't much she could do if one of the dinosaurs wasn't accepted, it normally just meant that they would return and be part of other attractions in the park. Despite the dinosaurs being made in a lab setting, there were still aspects of nature that took over and Keira couldn't interfere by guidelines set by the park.