< chapter 6>

If Axel's companion has made an impression on Hazel while sitting, she goes all out dancing. The two glide across the dance floor like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers and neither gives a single misspelled passion. The girl appears to have been cast in her long satin dress and there is not a wrong curve to be detected.

Hazel stamped her foot under the table. So unfair! Her gaze moved up and down the slender body that slid past her and finally rested on the girl's ankles. Maybe a little thick, the green-eyed monster whispered. And her legs look like pears. No, that is a bit rude but also true.

The music suddenly stops and to her greatest surprise the two come walking towards her.

"Hey, Hazel."

At least Axel remembered her name, so that must be something.

"Hello, Axel. What a surprise to see you here. Aren't you going to introduce me to your friend?"

"Oh, yes," he answered, half surprised.

"This is Lilan Jonh, My girlfriend."

His girlfriend. Of course. How else? The name is as exotic as the owner.

"Nice to meet you, Lilan ," Hazel greeted her politely and held out her hand.

Lilan ignored her outstretched hand and smiled lightly. "What an interesting dress you have on! I could never feel comfortable in that," she said bitchie.

Hazel covered the creases that make the check-out skirt at the front and then looked Lilan straight in the eye.

"What  you wouldn't do for your best friend huh?" she smiled back.

"Do you have best friends too, Lilan?" She said proudly

Axel cleared his throat and put his arm around the goddess's body.

“I didn't think you'd be here, Hazel,” he says. "Seems like we're only going to run into each other at weddings."

"I told you, it's like a second profession for me."

Hazel wiggles her toes in the silly Mary Janes. Maybe she can smash them together and disappear like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz.

"Maybe we'll meet again next time at our wedding," Lilan chirped. "Now wouldn't that be a funny coincidence?"

"Ah, they're playing one of my favorite songs," Axel quickly said.

Hazel knows he's only doing it to defuse the tension between her and Lilan. He doesn't look like a Ariana Grande fan to her.

"Lilan, do you mind if I take Hazek for a quick lap around the dance floor? After that I'm all yours."

"Of course not, Axel. You must be nice to your...um... friend. As long as it's just one dance, ok!" she said and her gaze seared through Hazel.

As if she had suddenly lost interest, Lilan turned away and glided majestically between the tables to join the guests around their table. Within moments she was surrounded by men with eagle eyes. Worse than bees around a honey pot.

"You smell like rose petals," Axel told Hazel as he took her in his arms to start dancing with her.

"Not many girls smell like that anymore."

She is closer to him than she should be and it makes her nervous

"I'm not like most girls."

"Why are you so depressed tonight? Even tho you look so beautiful."

"Don't you start now too," Hazel said angrily. "I've been through enough under that forked tongue of your girlfriend .But I have to say, she's very pretty."

"She is" Axel looks withdrawn. "And very determined too."

"Do you work together?"

"That's where I met her, yes. She recently joined our firm. We haven't been together long."

Why does it sound to her like he wants to add that it already feels like an eternity?

"How do you know Anna and Henry?" Hazel asked , changing the subject, because she definitely didn't feel like talking about Lilan for the entire dance.

“I don't really know them,” he replied. "Lilan invited me to accompany her here. She's Anna's cousin Or something like that."

"O."

It gets quiet between them and Axel gives her hand a light hug as they go around the corner.

Hazel wishes the music would just go on forever. She imagines how it must feel to waltz with him across wide, open fields between snow-capped mountains, but just then the song stops and Axel lets her go. Like all good things, the dance also has an end.

Hazel's entire being cried out to him as he led her to her table.

"Thank you, Hazel. It was very nice dancing with you he said and pulled out a chair for her to sit on. "I should probably go find Lilan."

"Yes, you probably should."

Axel touches her shoulder and a wave of heat pulls over her whole body.

"I wish..." he began, but bit back his words.

He staggered a little longer, shook his head and then walked away. Hazel picked up her glass of sparkling wine and took a big gulp. The liquid is lukewarm and has already lost most of the bubbles. That's exactly how she feels right now. Lumpy ,without spark. And to top it all off, she is all alone once again.

..................................................................

Heyy
Please vote and comment
Xxxx