<chapter 5>

Two months later it's that time again.

Hazel unzipped the dress in the back, took it off the hanger and wrapped herself in it. At least this time it's not as bad as last time. The outfit actually suits her quite well, even if she has to say so herself. A close-fitting top accentuates her thin waist and the wide check-out skirt girts-girts as she twirls around. Even the garish red Mary Jane shoes aren't too bad. It makes her look taller and her calves more defined.

She would never have come up with the idea to choose fifties retro as a theme for a wedding herself, but in this case it is quite appropriate. Anna is a housewife straight out of the book and her biggest dream in life is to watch over her loved ones, take a golden brown braai leg out of the oven every night, and keep her house sparkling. A real Doris Day if ever there was one. Blooming, healthy and wholesome. And her Henry cut out for the role of provider and head of the house.

It's starting to look more and more to Hazel as if every pot around is getting a lid except hers. Her lid must have been lost or broken somewhere along the way, because everyone knows, it's pretty much nowhere to be found.

She clicked her tongue dejectedly, arranged her Pageboy hairstyle - a smooth bob curled downwards - and straightened the large bow with the white dots. A last touch of red lipstick and a cheerful black dot on the cheek and she's ready to rock and roll.

The guests are all already in the church when the powder blue Cadil lac stops in front of the main entrance. As befits a good bridesmaid, Hazel helps Anna out of the wedding car and makes sure that her dress doesn't get caught somewhere.

Just as they were walking up the steps, a fun honking sounded from a passing motorist. The bride turned, laughed cheerfully, and waved at him. Completely like the Queen of England.

At least this time it is the real wedding march that is playing and Hazel gets a lump in her throat when she sees Anna standing so beautifully hooked in with her father's arm. Her father's chest swells with pride and he can't help but blink away a tear.

What she wouldn't give to share such a moment with her father. In a white dress by his side, ready to be handed over to the man she loves. Will that day ever come? or should she just wait for the next life and hope she doesn't reincarnated as a nun? Well, here they go.

A short distance before they reached the pulpit, her ears began to itch. And then she saw him. Again. Or rather, he sees her. Hazel's breath catches in her throat and she has to watch carefully not to step on Anna's trail.

It is unmistakably him. Axel West. But who is the red-headed Venus who sits so tightly against him on the pew? And what is he doing here anyway?

Hazel could feel his eyes burning into her back. She wonders what it is about her that suddenly interests him so much when there is a picture-perfect girl by his side.

Then she remembered her outfit. I agree. He is sure to have a good laugh up his sleeve at this silly business. All she still needs is an egg spatula and then she will also fit in a fifties kitchen.

Her heart sinks right into her red shoes. Will there be no chance that the man can only see her in normal clothes? Not that it's something waffers to behold clothes. But that's it. Anything is better than these circus uniforms in which she has to show off clearly and untimely.

Or wait. Could it be that she forgot to zip up the back of the dress? She felt her back with one hand and let out a relieved breath.

An open zipper or silly outfit are things that the Venus next to Axel will obviously never get over. Oh no, she's one of those who walked straight out of Vogue's glossy pages. Cool as a cucumber. And even without makeup she will be able to cause the next war in Troy.

Hazel's heart skipped a beat. Girlfriend and the accountant make a stunning couple. If in her wildest dreams she thought she could stand a chance with Axel West, now it's as clear as daylight that she can write it on her forehead. It didn't matter what Louise said. He wants perfection, not boring librarians.

Anna's warning cough pulled her out of her thoughts. And it's just in time too, because otherwise Hazel would have either run into the bride or pulled the train right next to her. It comes from when one's head is full of mouse nests.

.....................................................................

Hope you guys are enjoying it
Please vote and comment
Xxx