Hopper

A/N: Face claim for Spencer above!!

- Rick's POV -

The worried mutterings of the group hum through my faded hearing but all I can focus on is her. Lying on that stretcher as I watch her chest shallowly rising and falling rhythmically. As long as she's breathing. It's okay. As long as the air is coming in and going out.

"She's going to need surgery." Herschel determines lowly as he and Bob asses her, making me sag with defeat, falling against the wall behind me. The exhaustion in my body is stifling but I'm trying to push through it.

I need to push through it.

"She's lost a lot of blood, she'll need a transfusion," Herschel decides as he bustles around Cass's office, ripping open drawers and rummaging through the contents.

"I-I'll donate. Take it" I choke hoarsely through my labored breathing, holding out my arm towards Herschel.

"Rick, you've done more than enough," Maggie insists, her eyes full of concern. Glenn nods beside her, watching me warily "Yeah man, you don't look so good," he adds. My chest heaving, I don't break my intense stare at Herschel, ignoring them.

"Does anyone know her blood type?" Bob asks, looking around. My stomach drops and I hang my head. I didn't think about that.

The energy in the group shifts to confusion as they look around in worry, looking for answers. The hope is starting to leave my body, draining steadily from my feet. Why don't we know her blood type? I feel like that's something we should know. 

"Is anyone O-negative?" Herschel asks after a sigh, searching the group. I close my eyes in frustration, pinching the bridge of my nose. I need to help her. If I can't-

"I am." a voice in the back speaks up, one particular voice that makes me want to punch my hand into the solid concrete wall beside me repeatedly. I raise my head, looking at him as he steps past Daryl and Sahsa to be in the front.

Spencer steps forward, gulping nervously. "I'm O-negative. I can donate," He offers and without hesitation, Bob ushers him in to get his blood taken.

"Alright everyone, we need to do this now, so you have to get out, give us some space," Herschel orders. Our friends reluctantly filter back into the cell hall, away from Cass's office.

I shake my head, glancing over at her unconscious body laying flat and lifelessly on the stretcher. Nausea twists deep in me to see how pale she is. I can't leave her. I worked so hard to get her back I can't just leave her now.

"Rick. Go. You've done everything you can." Herschel orders sternly, and I glare back at him. "I'm not leaving her." I grit through my teeth, hot tears of worry and frustration threatening to push past my eyelids.

"Come on man," Daryl grunts, grabbing and tugging me away. I go in defeat, an all-consuming worry taking up every thought. I realize I don't have the strength to fight it, my limbs are solid lead at this point, weighing me down. Almost as much as my all-consuming fear.

I can't watch another one of my people die. Not after Shane, Lori, T-Dog, Dale, all of them. They were family. And so is Cass.

She can't die. Not after everything we've been through. Everything she's been through- even before the turn. She's too strong. Too important. To die from a fucking cut on a fence.

Judith's laughter bubbles over the constant chatter of the cafeteria as I bounce her on my knee. She coos, grabbing her hands into the air at nothing, an adorable smile on her little face.