Chapter 19: Onkar

It is astonishing to see Arasi run off somewhere in the middle of the conversation. We stare at her dumbfounded while the teacher shouts her name. 

"Where are you going Arasi?" When she doesn't turn around but continues to run until she's out of sight, the teacher starts to grumble. "What's up with her these days? I'm sure this is all because of not acquiring her powers at the right time..."

But when she did acquire it, she has it more powerful than any of us. I would have liked to personally witness Arasi channeling her powers, and see if the rumors are true of her creating a tornado in one go. Every school hones their students' powers only till they are able to control them. Not every Nivaanian is told to master the art of water bending. However, it's important for every Nivaanian to at least acquire them or in better words, unlock your second soul, because there's the belief that if you don't, you die. You die because your body shrinks like a crumpled paper as all the water is sucked out of your body. Not even blood flows through the veins– only the bones and flesh remain.

Though, no one knows how much time you need to acquire powers, the common being the age of sixteen. But for Arasi, she was three hundred and sixty-five days late. This means that the Goddess grants at least two or more years to unlock your second soul for the late-bloomers.

"Anyways, I hope someone will catch up with her and reiterate what to do." The teacher says. "I've divided you all in groups so do the work diligently."

I and Kartik exchange glances. We are in different groups and the fact that I'm with Arasi and not Kartik makes him pout. I know what that pout means. Smiling at Kaavya who grins at me, I change my gaze and call out to the teacher. Though I want to be with Kaavya, helping out Kartik would be my first priority. "Wouldn't it be better if I'm in the art group? Kartik's artistic skills aren't that great."

"Your skills aren't that good either, Onkar." The teacher bluntly replies and I hear the snickers of the boys of class A. "But you're right. Kartik is poor at drawing." She thinks momentarily before speaking, "Then Kaavya and Kartik should exchange places. Kaavya's drawing skills are better."

"Yeah, right." Kaavya walks over to the side, simultaneously giving me side-eye. I'm so sorry.

"You're the best-est friend I could ever get, you know that right?" Kartik squeals and I silently chuckle. Finally, it's me, Kartk and Arasi. Hopefully, it would be easy to complete the project with her.

After school gets over, I head over to my house after stopping at a shop to buy vials for carrying out the experiment that I have in mind and some flasks that Appa asked for.

"Didn't expect to meet you here." My eyes flicker at the owner of the voice, Kaavya.

"Oh hi..." No way did I want to meet her after making her feel that I didn't want to work on a project with her.

"What're you doing here?" She asks, the same welcoming smile on her face. But a little awkwardness is still in the air between us.

"Just..." I show the vials and she nods in acknowledgement.

"I'd come for the same thing for my mother. She's the Maharaj's physician."

"Yeah, I know." Everyone knows that.

We exit the shop together and stand beside. The roads are bustling with people and chariots. The neighs of horses and the gossip of the people help to tone down the blaring silence between us. Her hair is tied up in a pony and her eyes are fixed on the uneven roads with puddle holes here and there. It's the market area in between two rural towns so to expect good, constructed roads is like wishing Maharaj to step down from his throne for the greater good. She doesn't bring her head up but starts to walk beside me, kicking random stones in the way.

Ugh, I really want to go home fast and gulp down some sharbat or at least water because I hadn't had any from morning— I had forgotten my bottle.

"So, you don't like me or something like that...?" Kaavya starts and I'm grateful and also not grateful for that.

"No, it's nothing like that." I deny swiftly.

She frowns. "Then why would you...?"

I scratch my head. "Actually, my friend Kartik wanted to be on the same team as Arasi so..."

Her lips shape in an 'o', "So that's the matter." She chuckles, looking relieved. "For once I thought you didn't want to be friends with me."

"It's actually quite the opposite. And I'm sorry for that."

"It's okay. No problem." She looks up at me, her baby hair tickling her forehead as her eyes sparkle like raw gold. How can she look so enchanting while forgiving someone?

"No, I feel like I should make it up to you. Do you want to eat something? I can buy it."

"You won't have that much money. And I never eat street food."

Is she being pretentious or am I being too skeptical to befriend someone from a higher status? Whatever it is, it's worth a try.

"How come? It's the best."

"But it can be unhygienic and you never know what water or things they use to make that food."

"If you think like that then the royal cooks could be unhygienic too. You don't know if they wash the vegetables before cooking. You don't know if they're scratching their butt while kneading a–"

"Okay, okay," She holds up her hand. "If you continue, I'll never eat any food again."

I laugh. Suddenly, my ears perk up at the sound of an angry horse making its way. I look back and see the chariot going on full speed even on a busy road. On instinct, I pull Kaavya to the side who was walking by the road and I exchange places with her. "You should walk inside. People are reckless these days." I say to her.

I feel her stare at me while I search for that one particular food stall. When I glance at her, she quickly looks away and tucks a strand of hair beside her ear. "What?" I ask.

"Nothing." Is she flustered? Did I embarrass her or something?

Soon I spot Deepti's favorite pazham pori stall. I guide Kaavya there. "You like pazham pori?"

"Those are too oily, right?"

I stop the urge to roll my eyes. "You'll forget that fact after trying it." I turn to the vendor and place an order. "Anna, two pazham pori." We are indeed lucky to arrive at the right time when the uncle is frying a new batch of bananas in the sizzling oil. Kaavya inhales the sweet smell that wafts off the fritters.

"You know what? I'm a big foodie. But I'm just fortunate to be born with a mother who is a clean freak. I've tried so many cuisines around the world but not this? Damn." Kaavya shakes her with pursed lips.

"It doesn't matter. I'm a big foodie too." I lie through my teeth. It is important to be relatable to the person you're trying to know more about.

The uncle hands over two hot banana fritters on a plate. I hold it in between us and we keep blowing it before picking it up with our nails. Kaavya somehow takes a bite and then another before nodding her head in delight. "This is the best. Sweet and crisp."

"Told ya." I grin.

I pay for the pazham pori after a fight on who's going to pay. Because I paid, Kaavya brought me sugarcane juice as compensation. It is almost evening when we part ways after hours-long talk.

Three is the perfect number for me. And after Biju, there is a part of me that went away with him. I guess, Kaavya would be the best part to replace it.

***