Chapter 12: Arasi

My eyes feel like they are clipped together, refusing to open. It is when they go open for a mere moment that I see a blurry Divya searching for something, in my wardrobe. It seems she didn't find something she wanted because she huffs and sits down on the rosewood chair.

My lashes curtain my vision again, sending me into another deep slumber.

The next time I open my eyes I have a better vision, without the haziness. I try to move my hand but my limbs feel like they haven't been used for ages. My head is paining as if someone is pressing it from both sides like a thing they want to destroy. A whimper leaves my lips when I try to get up which wakes up Divya who was apparently dozed off at the side of my bed.

"You're awake!" She hurriedly comes up to me and helps me to lay my back against the bed frame.

"What happened?" I ask in a hoarse voice, making me clear my throat.

Maybe my voice was low because Divya didn't listen. "Whew, thank the Water Goddess you're awake! You should have some water first." She hands me a glass of water. I take time to gulp down the water because I know Divya is on another rant. "Also the meds. No wait, I think I should call the physician. But wait, I didn't ask, are you okay? Do you feel alright now?"

I nod and ask again. "What happened?" The last thing I remember was being at river Amrit. The kids. The blood.

Divya makes herself comfortable beside me before she starts. "Someone had attacked you. Someone had hit your head from behind and made you unconscious."

My eyebrows rise as I subconsciously touch the back of my head. When did this happen? I don't remember any of it taking place.

"The Maharaj has started the investigation about who the culprit was. More and more guards are now outside your chambers. I think it's a serious matter." She says with a conviction and worry that I haven't seen her display before.

"Are you serious?"

"No."

"What?"

"Oh god, I was joking!" She bursts into laughter.

I groan and slap her arm. "C'mon now!"

"I'm sorry. It's just your horrified face that looks so damn good, it's worth a laugh."

I shake my head and release a sigh of relief. Sometimes Divya can be genuinely terrifying.

And that's why you're smiling?

I immediately become conscious after hearing Parin's words. "OK, now tell me exactly what happened?"

"The physician told that you were tired or something because of which you went unconscious."

"What about the kids? That was real right?"

"Yeah, about the kids, all are admitted to the hospital. And in the last twenty-four hours that you were unconscious, there's still no news of recovery from the hospital. I heard it's an epidemic?"

"Epidemic? And twenty-four hours? I was out for a whole day?" I frown.

"Yep. And did you know that you snored a little while sleeping?"

I look at her deadpan. "I don't."

"Yes, you do. I heard those little snores from you last night." Divya teases which makes her eyes sparkle like a lake when the sun hits it just right. It's amusing that Divya likes teasing so much. I don't know if it's only limited to me or if it's applicable to others too. A giddy feeling tickles my insides whenever I see her cheeks glow like gold when she smiles or laughs, and that sparkle... I've never seen someone like her.