Chapter 10: Arasi

'Why did you stop me?' I don't remember how many times I asked that question to Parin.

My toes are crumbling and my heels feel like they weigh more than ten pounds as I run across the vast training ground of the palace. My feet are bare and they burn when they hit the sizzling sand dust. Many soldiers and guards train inside the circle I'm running in, our sweat glistening like jewels against the bright sun. 

It was for your sake. Parin replies.

'Ok, I don't understand how it was for my sake. That poor man died.'

So?

'You're asking 'so'? I could've saved him!'

But that would've saved your father. At least people got a glimpse of how he rules his kingdom.

I want to groan but it comes out as a frustrated breath. After whatever happened, Father is not getting out of his office even at night. For a whole week, he was busy signing apology letters to the guests who came for my coronation. He is still figuring out how to mend his broken reputation again.

"You're not only incompetent but also a coward."

It's impossible to forget Divya's words as they revolve my mind twenty-four-seven. Every time her voice echoes in my ears, it drowns me into a sea of guilt.

It was not your fault. You didn't take responsibility for saving everyone's lives, did you?

'But then what's your grudge with my father, huh?'

I reach Guruji before Parin replies. I pant heavily with my hands on my knees.

"Quick Arasi. Now!" Guruji commands.

I pull myself back up and try to concentrate on the dummy doll. I raise my hands, expecting a giant water storm to emerge from within and take the doll down. But as life is an expert in crushing my expectations, only a string of water squeezes out. 

Guruji shakes his head in dismay. "This is disappointing, Arasi. You've done this ten times already."

"I don't know... I just..." I flail my hands at my sides, helpless. Apparently, Guruji wanted me to be able to use my powers even when I have run miles. Knowing how to tackle enemies when on a run is an important life skill– especially for me. However, it's hard to concentrate when there's no energy left in your body, your throat feels like a desert devoid of any water, and your mind is already somewhere else.

"You need to collect yourself together. Where's your concentration anyway?"

I don't reply as I try to catch my breath and gulp down a bottle of water. The sun, which is on the top of my head is also thirsty as he is sucking all my energy for his drink.

"I want a break," I say.

Guruji snatches the bottle from me and looks at me with stern eyes. "No break for you unless you drop down that doll."

I groan. "No way! I can't– like this ground is so big, like bigger than the palace itself."

"No excuses. Get back on the tracks." His pitiless tone left no room for negotiation, making my shoulders slump. I start running again with legs whose bones are melting inside.

'Sometimes I feel what you say about me having great powers is delusional. I can't even concentrate properly.' I mutter in my mind.

When the time comes, everything will be set right, my dear. Parin says with a convincing voice but I'm still left unmotivated as I drag myself around the tracks.

Suddenly, I see Father walking in the corridors with one of the ministers by his side. My mind erupts with a whole lot of questions. For a week, Father didn't have time to talk to anyone except grinding himself at work. We didn't even eat together. If we had at least one conversation that day, I would have asked what exactly happened. Who was the man? What was the issue he was talking about? And... How did he actually die?