Chapter 6: Arasi

The colossal hall is embellished with marigold garlands at the entrance, while the interiors are decked with sky-blue curtains between the pillars. There are servants at every door, welcoming the guests– Father's friends and allies from all around the world. The sparkling glass chandelier that hangs up against the ceiling reflects images of the people down in the hall.

I turn away from the breathtaking scene. I didn't know Father would go to such an extent to showcase my powers. To declare that his daughter had finally unleashed her true potential.

I lick my lips as I pace back and forth. Can I do this? I ask myself.

In front of all these people... Just thinking it that way makes me nervously twist one of the many rings that adorn my fingers. A cloud of fear looms over my head as I think about the numerous ways things can go wrong. If I mess up even one thing, it will surely lead to embarrassment to not only me but to my father– the Maharaj– and to the whole Nivaan kingdom.

What if I couldn't–

Stop. Parin orders, halting my anxious thoughts.

'I'm scared.' I say, truthfully.

You've practiced many times. It won't go wrong.

'I only practiced it like twenty times. If only I could do it one more time...'

You're worried for nothing, my dear. Remember that I'm there and I can take over whenever you want.

I nod my head consciously. "Yes, you're there." A sense of relief washes over me as I realize that someone has my back. Apart from Guruji, I had no one who assured me this way. I had no one to go to. Surely, Guruji is there– but not always.

Now that I have Parin, I can talk to her anytime, anywhere.

'Thank you.' I told Parin. I shred off all the anxiety behind me as I walk towards my room.

No thanks, dear. You're like my other half and I would never abandon you. Like your father does.

I frown. 'My father hasn't abandoned me.'

But he only came around when you got me. When you unlocked me. Does the daughter have to give something in order to get her father's love?

Parin's bitterly true words place a heavy stone on my heart. But I ignore it. 'It doesn't matter. He's still my father nonetheless.'

"Princess?" I turn around at the voice that interrupts our conversation and see Kavita. "Everyone's waiting for you."

I take a deep breath. "I'm not sure if I'm ready. And this saree?" I look at myself.

This is the first time I've worn a saree and it's too heavy. The sea blue silk is embellished with beads and small gems at the borders, like the sediments that border the river Amrit. I fix the tight blouse once more only for me to be able to breathe a little more properly. 

In all honesty, to wear and handle a saree is something only a few can master.

"You look gorgeous, Princess. Don't worry, you will do your best." Kavita sends an encouraging smile and I return it by hugging her.

"If someone sees a Princess hugging her maid, they will fire me," Kavita warns in a not-so-serious tone.

After my mother passed away at the time of my birth, Kavita was the one who raised me. I never had a mother's love, never had the chance to feel the warmth of a mother's touch. And whenever Kavita hugs me and takes care of me–even if she does because of her job– I can't help but cherish the motherly feeling she radiates.