Chapter 14: Arasi

Now that all the decoration is taken down, the blossoming flower motifs on the navy blue walls are visible. Each minister presents themselves in the durbar on their lavish golden seats. Father leisurely sits back against his throne, the crown on his head glimmering with the diamonds that embellish it. The seat to the right was my mother's, Maharani Rita's. That seat has been empty for the last seventeen years. I still wonder if she was alive, would I have been happier? She would have loved me more. Unlike my father who still didn't ask me how I was. Was he even aware that I was unconscious for a whole day?

Then it makes sense why you don't have a mother. Because chances are, she would be exactly the same as your father. Then you would've two people continuously reminding you how your existence doesn't matter. Parin voices her unasked opinion which I choose to ignore.

The seat to the left is where I'm sitting stiff like a dead body. I keep myself busy by chewing my lips. The doors are soon open and people are flooding in. They gather in a crowd behind the pillars and in front of the door, looking like ants from where I'm seated. The proceedings start with the ring of a bell, thrice.

"Maharaj, we come here for a small negotiation." An old lady, who seems the matriarch speaks while the rest of the family stands behind her. "We cannot pay this year's land tax due to the dying of our crops. We barely have any food left on our plates. Please—"

She is cut off by Father before she can complete it. "Your wish is non-negotiable. There are many who have failed crops each year. That does not mean I can give them the allowance of not paying the taxes."

"But Maharaj there are many. Almost all the farmers in our village have dead crops. It's the water, Maharaj. The water."

Father looks at the food minister, who stands up at the right command. "It is true Maharaj. Most of the river bank settlements are being affected because of the contaminated water. The fields which are dependent on the rivers are mostly dying."

Consequently, the health minister who also is the royal physician, stands up with much effort because of her obese body. "Many deaths are taking place because of the contaminated water. In the cities, every day at least five people pass away. In villages, the death rate is increasing each day."

"Contaminated? How did the water get contaminated?" Father frowned. "Did you find out?"

She rubbed her bulbous nose before saying, "We were waiting for your orders, Maharaj."

I see his fists clench. "I expect my ministers to be proactive and vigilant for such scenarios. Not a single person informed me about this earlier."

"But Maharaj, you were busy finding out about the explosion the other day. You told us to find out about the possible invasion of Marhalis." The defense minister speaks up, his big mustache curved upwards. Father glares at him for ratting him out in front of so many people, the gaze so sharp it could tear him apart if it were a blade. "You can sit down, Chandra." He says, gritting his teeth.

The public pleas and complaints continue which becomes proof of what the ministers not long ago presented. Many commoners have come with the appeal to help their loved ones, who are withering in pain in the hospitals because of the disease. Others are dying of hunger because of the shortage of food that has taken over the kingdom. Some aren't even drinking water or using it from fear of getting sick.

"But how is everyone so sure that the disease is spreading through water? Because everyone drinks water every day. It is hard to narrow down our prospects." Father says and orders the health minister. "I would like you to further investigate this, Geeta."

She bows in a yes.

"Meanwhile, before we are sure that the water of Nivaan is contagious, it would be better if everyone stays away from the water of the rivers and lakes and seas. Don't use any water present outside to cook food or for any purpose. It is better to take precautions."

I stare at Father, dumbfounded. If we don't drink water then how will we survive? Surely, water is essential for everyone to survive. But for us, we are made out of it. Our powers come from the water itself. That's why it is so important to regularly meditate underwater, so that we are with the source that energizes us, making us stronger. If we don't consume water at all, how will we be able to use our powers? What will we do in our day-to-day lives? And most importantly, how will we save ourselves from not drying up?

"Father, I don't think–"

"We will talk later Arasi." He dismisses me with a tone that leaves no further argument. I huff and sit back, watching all the chaos that's erupting among the people present in the hall.

"Then what should we drink?" Someone anonymous shouts from the crowd.

"Depend on the water within ourselves. Nivaanians have the most amount of water present in their bodies, that we use for our powers. Now is the time to use that water."

Wow, what a genius plan! Parin laughs sarcastically and I wish I could join her.

"Apart from that, we have wells and groundwater sources. I believe they would not be contaminated."

The public proceedings are dismissed. I follow Father out of the hall. "Father, can we have a word?"

"Not now Arasi. I've lots to do." His tanned leather shoes decked with cowry shells hit the floor at a faster rate, turning to another hallway.

"Father, please. Just one minute. That's it–" He stops midway causing me to bump into his back. He turns to face me and I take a step back, his gaze cold like ice.

"Tell me. You've exactly sixty seconds."

I fist my skirt in my palms, this is not the time to panic. I've to be straightforward and clear about what I have to say. About my thoughts and opinions that Father should definitely consider, at least. "Father, you're aware how it's not a good idea to stop people from consuming water resources. It can be dangerous either way."

"So you're suggesting to make them drink contaminated water?"

"No, I'm saying to test each lake and river to see which water resources are safe to consume. Because if we entirely depend on our own water, people have higher chances of dying through a dry up."

"But it will take time. And we don't have that. People just need one chance to point fingers at the King." And you give them that chance, I want to say. He never lets me complete my words. "And the Marhalis, they're planning an attack. A big one."

"But Father, now we should be worried about this epidemic."

"It can take weeks to test the water."

"But keeping people away from water resources isn't the best thing either. And I think the river Amrit is contaminated as well which means people can't meditate anymore. That will make them weaker."

"You can't 'I think'. You need to be sure about it."

"That's why testing the waters is the best thing. We can't wait till the disease subsides because it will come back when the water resources are opened. Until then, we can import water and major food items from the neighboring kingdoms." A look of realization flashes over my father's face. Don't tell me he never thought about using the friendship that he purposely bonded for the very reason to get help in a crisis.

He starts walking again. "Rivers will be closed. That's final."

I want to scratch my hair out of my scalp and crush a costly vase that we pass by down the hall. Is it so hard to accept help? Is it so hard to listen to your daughter and take her opinions during decision-making? I can't even count how many times I have been shooed away for keeping my opinions in front of him. Sometimes, I get convinced that what I think has to be so bad for my Father to reject. And... 

No, it was in the past and should be left in the past.

"And about the testing, you can handle it." I almost squeal at my father's words. "But at one condition." He flickers his eyes at me. "You don't get to go near the water." He slowly comes to a halt. "No matter what happens. You can take guards or physicians or anyone. But if you risk your life in any way then, you will never get to step out of these palace walls again. Do you understand?"

I'm not sure if I should be happy that Father is finally being like a father or should be terrified by the condition he has kept. "I'll never go near the waters, I promise."

***